57

Chapter 7
Section 8: Those who Wait
That morning, I arrived at the Warrior Guild’s reception desk the same time I did yesterday.

“Is that so? Then sorry, but do you mind if we wait for them today too?”

I sat down at a table with Saluena and waited for Toslin and the others to get here as well. But the looks I was getting from my surroundings were far more curious than they had been the day before.

“Hey. Isn’t that the girl from yesterday?”

“Yesterday? Oh, the girl who was friends with those orange rank adventurers.”

It looks like the presence of the orange rank adventurers Toslin and Carol along with the priestess Rose-san has been vividly scorched into the people here’s minds. As such, they did not hesitate to stab me with their questionable gazes as they wondered who I was to them.

“I’m pretty sure that’s Iris. You know, from that bookstore over in the shopping district…….”

One person was able to recognize me, so my name slowly started to spread through the rest of the building. Most of the people muttered a small, “Oh,” as an inkling of recollection came to their minds, but there were a couple of other voices mixed in as well.

“……what’s that kid doing here again? She’s probably just trying to get close to those adventurers.”

“If so, then you have to admire how bold she is. There’s no way I could ever do that.”

“Hold on, she can hear you both.”

“She looks like an ordinary village girl who probably doesn’t know any of the finer details about ranks. Somebody should go ahead and give her those details. Those adventurers live in a completely different world than her.”

“I said stop Peachseed¹.”

There were three female adventurers sitting at the table next to ours who were currently looking for their next job. Two of them with the same shade of dark brown skin were glaring at me with clear disgust.

For them, my being here was less than interesting. Since they’re people of the same business, they probably know about other people who’ve tried sucking up to high level adventurers. People who craved a connection more than anything else whether that connection be as fellow party members, friends, or even just getting to know them. So in their eyes, I probably look like a disgusting bug who doesn’t know her place.

“They’re late. They said they were going to prioritize investigating the inside of the mines today. Did they get lost?”

Saluena moved her body closer to me in an attempt to protect me from those malicious glares.

“M-Maybe…..”

I skipped breakfast today because I wanted to eat with everyone. But nearly two hours have already passed, and none of them have stopped by.

The gazes of the people around me, especially those three adventurers, keeps becoming more and more severe. I could hear people bad-mouthing me with ridicule mixed mutterings from here and there, but I managed to shrug it off each time.

“Master, maybe you should get something to eat?”

I’m lucky Saluena is here with me. Without her, I probably wouldn’t have lasted five minutes in this place. Saluena calmly dismissed any ridicule, snide comments, or negative emotions that were thrown our way. Honestly, it was like she didn’t even hear them. Whenever I looked at her, I was able to calm down a bit.

“Y-Yeah…..but I think I’ll wait just a little longer. Oh, unless, are you hungry Saluena? If you want to eat something first……”

“If you’re going to wait, I’ll wait too. Food tastes better when you eat with someone else. Eating by yourself makes the food taste bland.”