89

Chapter 10
Section 6: Riviera Von Iliana
“Ah, this is…..I think it’ll be good for us.”

The corners or Toslin’s mouth twisted upwards as she read what was written on the piece of parchment over my shoulder and then glanced down at the ring that had tied it together.

“What’s going on? What’s going on? Could you explain it so that this Carol-san can understand it too?”

As Carol started asking for an explanation, I decided to focus on my meal for the time being. It’s good to turn your back towards reality every once in awhile.

“First off, we called it a certificate, but it’s really more of a license or a form of credential showing that you have permission to mobilize an order of knights when you see fit. Rings like these are usually something issued by the king of a country, but this one came directly from the church instead.”

“And all of the names mentioned here are likely warrior priestesses who have sworn loyalty to the church. It appears that as thanks for subjugating the spirit involved in this incident, the church is not only giving Iris-san permission to start her own order of knights, but has also supplied fifty warriors to join her side.”

Oh, this bread is delicious. Is that walnut I taste? The scent of butter mixes together with the taste of the walnut, melting together inside my mouth. I could fill up on just bread and be satisfied with my meal.

“If they’re warrior priestesses, then they’re allowed to gather wherever the church holds power aren’t they?”

“Naturally it would be unreasonable for them to gather in special locations like inside a country’s castle, but otherwise it is mostly as Toslin-san says. Warrior priestesses are allowed to move and gather wheresoever they are needed most.”

This shank meat soup is wonderful. I’m pretty sure this taste is onion based, but I can’t find any onions in here. I’m certain the meat must have been boiled together with the onions over a long period of time, allowing the tastes to melt together. I can also taste some butter, salt, and pepper seasoning as well. And is that a touch of wine I taste?

When you combine it with that walnut bread from earlier, doesn’t that make this an absolutely splendid lunch?

“However, what stands out most of all has to be that name.”

“Fwy? Whoth fhat? Hiheria…….”

“Riviera Von Iliana. And I thought I already told you not to talk with your mouth full.”

“There are many chivalric orders in the world, but only one of them has ever been permitted to bear the name of the Goddess. An order of knights that no longer exists. The Goddess’s personal knight company that fought in the Illyarian War a thousand years ago.”

“I was one of their members. Becoming a member meant devoting yourself to the Goddess in both name and substance.”

“Hold on Iris, all of this has to do with you. Are you paying attention?”

I feel like a kid again, getting scolded by my teacher for staring out the window during class.

“…….yes, I’m listening……”

I stopped tearing into my walnut bread and nodded. The Knights of Iris was a name that weighed on me heavily. As such, I never thought it was going to get replaced by something even heavier.

Plus it sounds like I already have 50 warrior priestesses enrolling in this chivalric order. Warrior priestesses are supposed to be servants of the Goddess. Those people who raise their shields to protect the people and capable of bringing forth miracles. They’re a sweet yet daring figure that appears in numerous adventure novels, and just being one will draw you loads of respect from all sorts of people.