4

Chapter 1: Adventure Start
Section 4: Swansea Forest

Shortly after entering the Swansea Forest, we found a rocky where we could set up a fire

Shortly after entering the Swansea Forest, we found a rocky where we could set up a fire. Unlike the highway outside, the forest bed had very little snow because of just how thick the tree canopy was. The fact that the Swansea Forest’s leaves can hold back the weight of the falling snow even during the middle of winter only proves that the stories I read about this place weren’t exaggerations.

“Ah~, I’m completely soaked.”

Everyone else gathered around the fire, hanging our wet mittens on some nearby branches to dry. As for me, I was grabbing some ingredients from the back of the wagon to make lunch. I always keep our food in a hemp bag, but this season really helps to keep the food from rotting.

“Ah~, I’m saved……….”

Toslin nodded happily while holding her hands close to the flame.

“I’m hungry already. Iris, make it quick.”

“Yes yes. Wait just a moment.”

I used a medium sized rock Toslin had prepared for me as a chair-substitute and set my portable cutting board across my lap. Charlie gave me some bread before we left, so I can easily make up some sandwiches after chopping up the vegetables and slicing off portions of our smoked barbato. But that wouldn’t be very satisfying, so I spread out a mixture of lemon juice and mayonnaise on the bread as well.

“Nevertheless, it truly is dark in this forest. It’s feels like twilight has already come……….the villagers would have to carry torches with them during the middle of the day even.

I took a good look around us at Rose’s words. It is probably just a little after noon, so the sun would be at its peak. Here and there you would find a pillar of light that managed to cut through the dense foliage, and you would see the blue sky up above. But if this were the middle of the night, then everything here would be covered in inky darkness.

“By the way, that fairy before said something about Iris having magic didn’t she?”

Carol sat down next to me on the rock, lightly swinging her legs back and forth.

“Ah, she did say something like that, but I didn’t hear it that well. Rose?”

“Umm, I was absorbed in our battle, so I don’t remember that well.”

Everyone’s gazes inevitably fell on me. I did my best to ignore them pretending I was too wrapped up in sandwich preparations to have heard them, but the weight of everyone’s eyes boring into me is too much for me to bear.

“Actually………it’s just a little……..but magic power…………I have some. But it really is just a tiny little bit!”

I unconsciously looked over at Toslin. Isn’t it going to sound like I’m being a little sarcastic towards her since she doesn’t have any magic? This is bad, really bad.