7

Chapter 2
Section 3: The Other End of the Tracks
As dawn broke, we finished our breakfast and immediately left the inn. A white glow shined across the blue sky, and every breath we took was like a miniature white cloud. We did leave our bulky baggage back in our room though, so it was much easier to move around now.

Goldmund no longer had to pull that heavy wagon, so he was light on his feet this morning. But, the same couldn’t be said for the two people walking behind him.

“Uu, come on Iris. There’s really nothing that you’ve done wrong?”

In complete contrast to the bright blue sky in front of me, a dark, gloomy voice hit my back. Turning my head around, I saw Toslin’s hateful glare.

“N-Nothing at all!”

“You could still do your confession right now. You’ve lived for 16 years already. It’s perfectly normal to have one or two things you feel guilty about you know? Come out with it; we’re all friends here.”

Unlike Toslin, Carol’s expression was a lot more distant. Her eyes, they were just like a zombie’s. A zombie who only wishes to devour the living and make them just as empty as they are. The illustration of a zombie I had seen in a book I read had eyes just as hollow and depressing.

“I am a virtuous, ordinary person! So let’s steel ourselves already. Today is all about searching for Quinn.”

Even now the two of them were tottering behind with hurt butts. Ohh, is this really going to be okay………..?

“Maybe you hit them too hard, just a bit………?”

As the one responsible for all of this, Rose’s face was naturally clouded over.

“It’s fine. I’m told every day that an adventurer’s greatest tool is their body. That’s why such a small hit to their butts won’t amount to much for them.”

“If that’s the case then you should be fine hitting Iris’s butt too! Maybe then you’ll see just how much pain you’ve caused!”

“Yeah Rose, things are way too sweet from your eyes. Okay Rose, I’ll forgive you, now spank Iris’s butt too!”

The two of them were screaming together right in the middle of the village during the early morning when the square was full of people who had just gotten up. The stares I was getting from the villagers around us really hurt.

“Yes, however………I cannot pass judgement on a sinless person.”

Rose turned them down with a serious look. Naturally of course, this is the reasonable opinion to have. I nodded my head.

“Come now, let’s move quickly. A person’s life may hang in the balance.”

The expectations the villagers’ gazes sparked my sense of duty. Don’t worry, I’ll have found Quinn before the day is done. I briskly walked out of the village square, Toslin and Carol chuckling about something as they followed closely behind me.

After leaving the village, we arrived at a mountain trail that would eventually lead to the highway. Step by step, we slowly made our way down the path while trying to keep an eye on all the numerous tracks that had carved themselves through the set snow. Some of the tracks veered off the mountain path, moving into a thinner road that was probably an animal trail, but we ignored those. You could tell at a glance that the distance between the wheels was much too small, and the depths of the grooves in the snow were too shallow.