31

Chapter 5: Solretta
Section 4: Bout
The sound of hammers knocking against lumber echoed all over town as the carpenters continued their work rebuilding the village even as Carol continuously slashed away at Hadion over and over again.

“Oho, what an exchange…….although I don’t think it’ll amount to much.”

I’m not being overly dramatic when I use the word slashing. Carol is holding a real dagger in her hand, and she is constantly swinging it at Hadion in the hopes of cutting her.

“Wa, wa…….is this okay? This really is fine, right Toslin?”

Hadion was receiving every one of Carol’s attacks with the one handed sword she had just bought. Fundamentally it looks as if she’s staying completely on the defensive, focused only on receiving the attacks, but then out of nowhere she’ll swing down her sword with all her strength. Carol is able to just barely dodge those strikes, but if one of them were to actually land, the injury she would receive would be gruesome…….

“I can’t say for certain, but neither of them are amateurs, so it’ll be fine.”

Toslin told me I should just obediently watch, but this is bad for my heart.

“R-Rose-san~…….”

“It will be all right Iris-san. Should something go wrong, I will be able to heal them.”

Ah, that’s right. Rose-san is a priestess. Healing injuries is a piece of cake for her. ……there’s no way I’m going to be satisfied with something like that…….

“Iris-san’s worries are natural. However that person wants to understand our true abilities. That is why we must use the weapons we have grown accustomed to.”

“Hmm, I have a general understanding at least. You are next elf maiden. Feel free to come right at me.”

“Oh? You’re nominating me to be next? Well then Rose. I’ll leave Carol to you.”

“Haa, Haa……what was that……… None of my attacks would hit……”

Carol joined us as Toslin took her place. There were cuts all over her body that hurt just to look at.

“I will heal you right now, so please do not move.”

While Rose-san began using her healing miracle to heal up all of Carol’s injuries, Toslin’s bout with Hadion began.

“Ooooooooooooo!!”

Toslin released a gallant war cry as she rushed Hadion. While Carol had her short dagger, Toslin’s weapon of choice was a longsword. Even if they had grown brittle from a previous battle, Toslin’s sword flare was able to cut through a dragon’s scales, so even an amateur like me could tell how sharp that edge was.

“Your moves lack any hesitation and carry your full strength with each swing. It doesn’t look like you were self-taught.”

“I come from a long line of knights!! I have been training…….since childhood!!”

“Hoh, how splendid. Each blow is so heavy I wouldn’t imagine I was really fighting an elf.”

The sound of the carpenter’s mallets striking wood mixed together with the clanging of metal as the two swords repeatedly bounced off of each other. We picked a place a little out of the way, but people still started to gather because of the noise, and by now a good number of people had come after noticing the two of them.

“However your movements are still rough. You are so focused on delivering a strong strike that you neglect your footing.”

“……..thank you for pointing it out.”