5

Chapter: 2
Section 1 : Relton Village
“Oh yes, welcome and thank you for coming. Please allow me to express my gratitude on behalf of everyone in the village.”

The person talking here is Mister Chris, and he is the village head for this Relton village. He had wispy white hair and a thick, overgrown beard. His back was bent, and in one corner of the room you could see the cane he would need in order to walk. He was the perfect sample for what an old grandpa would look like.

“No no, this is our job, so please raise your head.”

Right now we were in the village head’s reception room in order to hear our client’s, Mister Chris’s, story. While Toslin was discussing things with him looking the most formal I have ever seen her, Carol and I were sitting back on his leather sofa.

“I am Tosrillon, dispatched here from the Warrior’s Guild. Standing next to me is my companion Rosalith, and over here is………….oi…….at least sit up straight when you’re being introduced.”

I got flustered hearing Toslin’s exasperation and quickly sat up, straightening my back. But, Carol stubbornly remained limp looking as if her soul had already left her body.

“Because……….we’ve been walking through the snow all day………and my stomach keeps grumbling and grumbling………..”

“Haa……..um, this here is Iris, and that exhausted lump is Carotayle. My deepest apologies, we did a forced march through the snow-covered road to get here as quick as we could.”

Toslin turned back towards the village head and made a bitter smile. But I saw it. Just before her line of gaze turned back towards the chief, she was giving Carol a tremendously severe glare.

“No no, we are already more than grateful that Rifront could send someone at this time of year. You all must be tired and hungry, so sit back and take a load off. I’ll guide you to the inn as soon as we’re done here.”

“Eh, really? Hooray! You get what’s going on Grandpa!”

Carol’s ears perked up, and she sat up with a start. It goes without saying that Toslin’s fist came soaring down on her head.

“You be quiet for a bit.”

“Agh………..gaaaa………..Iris……. Toslin, Toslin………..she attacked me”

“R-Right………….she did………. But, let’s quiet down for a bit. At least until Toslin finishes with our job…………..”

Still writhing in pain, Carol laid over and set her head on my lap. I couldn’t help but make a wry smile as I started petting her head.

“Hohoh. A werewolf………..right? It’s been a very long time since I laid eyes on one, but she appears to be an energetic girl.”

The wrinkles on the village head’s face deepened as he smiled while watching Carol.

“Ah, um……….Carol is……….a half. But everything is okay. She’s a really good girl.”

I unconsciously hugged Carol closer to me as I stumbled over my words. The village head stroked his long beard with his hand for a moment before soon making a gentle smile.

“Hohohoh. I think so too. When you’ve lived as long as I have, you become an excellent judge of character. And I certainly don’t feel anything bad from any of you. And above all, with a priestess traveling together with you, I can be doubly certain you’re all good people.”

The village chief’s eyes fell on Rose who had yet to open her mouth since entering the chief’s home.

“…….”