72

Chapter 8
Section 9: Solretta Defense 3
“Then let’s go!! Hang on tight Lapris-chan!!”

“H-Hoorah!! I’m ready anytime!! Just don’t fall Iris!! You’re going to look really lame if you end up falling off your horse!!”

The always noisy Lapris excitedly shouted right in my ear. But right now that annoying shrill was bringing me hope, and my mouth naturally curved upwards into a smile.

I wonder why. I should be scared…..and yet for some reason I feel like I am having fun. Uplifted even. This is the first time in my life I’ve felt like this.

We’re standing at the gates right now. After being breached once by the ents already and then violently bent back in place by Unicorn, this gate won’t withstand a second attack from the enemy.

“Suu……”

I took a long, deep breath and held it there.

Hanging on to Unicorn’s mane to make sure I don’t fall over, I shouted as loud as I could.

“CHARGEEEEEEEE!!”

Unicorn thrust forward on my orders. Her hind legs sunk into the ground as she pushed off with all her strength, propelling her front legs into the broken iron gate.

*GAGONNNNNNG!!*

A loud noise similar to a cannon being fired off echoed across the city as the gate blew into the air. Our field of vision opened up with nothing else to get in our way. The sound of leaves rustling in the wind came to meet us as a swarm of ents moved this way and that before our eyes. And then just a short distance away, I could see Saluena blocking an attack with her shield just after cutting down another ent.

“Saluena!! We’re fighting too!!”

The same hooves Unicorn had used to bust open an iron gate now dug themselves into a nearby ent’s thick trunk.

*Tck* *Crack CRACK* ………the ent splintered in half, with each piece accompanied by a million splinters being blown away.

“Uwa, what tremendous power.”

“Don’t space out!! One’s coming from the side!!”

Another ent kicked up a violent gust of wind as it swung one of its massive branches our way. However…….

*BONK!!*

Before the branch could hit us, one of the magic circles swirling around me acted as a shield and completely stopped the attack.

“Unicorn, I’m holding on, so go wild.”

On my orders, Unicorn kicked out its hind legs, nailing the ent which had just attacked me right in its stomach.

*CRACK!!*

The ent’s wide, enormous body floated in air for a second before breaking apart just as the first one had.

After that, Unicorn continued shattering any ents that got close with a single mighty kick. Any ents that did manage to get close enough to attack me would have their branches stopped by my magic circles without fail, so I hadn’t gotten a single scratch on me yet.

“Oooh, awesome!! So this is that ‘powerful shield that can’t be broken’ you were talking about”

“Yep. This is one of the spells Unicorn can use that protects its body from all sorts of attacks.”

“Well, I guess he’s not called the virgin guardian for nothing. I wonder if he’s more motivated right now since there’s a virgin nearby.”