20

Chapter 3
Section 7: Grimoire Master Iris Calvafon

Several people started screaming near the dragon’s fallen body

“………”

Sometimes when you ‘see something unbelievable’, people use the expression that it ‘stole your breath away’. That expression certainly describes me right at this very moment.

“It’s alive! It’s still alive!”

The villagers who had all cautiously watched the dragon until now scattered outwards like a cluster of fledgling spiders.

“No, no way……..”

I muttered to myself in a daze, not able to accept the reality that the dragon had survived, and yet there it was, raising its massive head. The birdlime holding it down was meaningless as *CRACK* *CRACK* a noise similar to a tree being rent asunder resounded outwards. The dragon’s black, scorched head moved this way and that until its hate-filled gaze finally landed on me, and its pupil narrowed.

“Tch, Hiyaaaaa! Just die already you doddering old dragon!”

Toslin immediately brandished her sword once again and aimed for the dragon’s remaining eye while it was still in reach. But the dragon managed to dodge, and the slash ended up connecting with its nose instead.

“Grooooooooooooar!”

The steel blade was able to cut in deep through the charred, brittle skin. Black skin and fresh blood fell away, splattering across Toslin’s face…….but it was still coming. It just kept coming.

“Get back Iris!”

Toslin’s sharp voice flew into my ears, but my feet weren’t getting the message. Because, what am I supposed to do? We’ve already run out of mushroom spores, so how do we defeat the dragon? Toslin, everyone, what are you going to do if you stay here?

“It is dangerous here Iris-san!”

But, Rose-san is…….. Goldmund too, what will you do?

“Listen up Iris!”

So once again like this, you’ll fight on our own right? To save the people of this village. Even though Carol’s usually always going money, money, money, if she dies………what’ll happen if she dies………?

“Me too…….I-I’m fighting too!”

I draw my dagger from my waist. Although it’s wounded, a dragon is way too big for a tiny weapon like this to work against it. But I, I still draw it out. To stay together with everyone. Because if I want to stay by their sides, I need to show them that I can fight too!

“Have you lost your mind you idiot! You can’t win against an opponent like this!”

“But!”