169

Chapter 15
Section 19: Benefits?
If I’m going by just my feelings, then I want to help the oldest gnome sister.

However there is no guarantee that her brainwashing will wear off. For all we know, Mippo and Moppo returning to their senses after we beat them could be the exceptions to the rule.

[Iris]: “……..”

The strategy of sitting back and enduring Linzflare-san’s assault if her brainwashing were to continue without attacking back…….I can’t indulge that thought lightly.

[Iris]: “……I know I’m repeating myself, but I…….I want to save Mippo and Moppo’s older sister Linzflare-san.”

So steeling my resolve, I raised my face and took the challenge head-on. I won’t kill her no matter what.

[Litzreich]: “Hmm, is that so? You really are kind. I’m falling even deeper in love with you. However…..”

Litzreich, however, didn’t look convinced. Storing away her tools, she asked me once again.

[Litzreich]: “You understand then that depending on how the situation develops, you may as well be telling your comrades to go die?”

[Iris]: “That…….yes, I do”

This choice of mine could put my comrades……..and Litzreich’s and Ashel-sama’s lives in jeopardy. I understand that.

The first time I saw that ring for the Goddess Knights inside Soletta’s guild, I was struck by the weight of the lives that were now my responsibility.

That same pressure now hung on my shoulders at this very moment.

(It’s a dangerous gamble……I know that very well. But, I still want to help. Everyone should already know I’m that kind of person. And yet, they stand by me……. So……this feeling of mine…….)

Sure of myself, I opened my mouth to answer.

[Rose]: “You’re mistaken Litzreich-san”

But Rose-san spoke up before I could say anything myself.

[Carol]: “Yep yep. Litzreich is making a basic misunderstanding.”

[Toslin]: “For your information, it’s not like we blindly listen to whatever Iris says, sacrificing our lives, or anything of the like.”

A beat later, Carol and Toslin followed after Rose-san.

[Litzreich]: “……..What are you saying? The Goddess Knights are in service to Iris, of which all of you are members. Her commands should be absolute.”

[Saluena]: “Oh, no not quite. That may apply to me, but these two have been with Iris long before our knight order was formed. They might be formal members of the Goddess Knights, but if there’s an order they don’t like, they will definitely disregard it and run away.”

[Toslin]: “Hey, are you trying to make us sound like the bad guys? But well, obviously it’s better to run away rather than getting killed…….. But if it came to that, I’d drag Iris with me? I’m not heartless. Probably.”

[Carol]: “I’ll listen to Iris’s request, but I hate what I hate and I won’t do what I don’t want to do. The reason why we’re going along with what she says without saying anything ourselves is because we’re confident we’ll be able to do something about it.”

[Litzreich]: “That’s easy enough to say, but if everything the gnomes have said is true, that older sister is a primordial spirit. And if she’s capable of altering this entire dungeon like this, she’s definitely a greater spirit. You already fought a greater spirit, the carbuncle, in Soletta Ritta, so you should already understand the horror that carries don’t you? And yet still…….”