140

Chapter 14
Section 4: Bright White Light
Kakon. Kakon. Kakon. Kakon.

The longer I looked at them, the more they looked like sparks.

Mycena showed me once before what happens when you strike a red hot iron with a hammer.

I remember how proudly she declared that she was making her own nails to build up the skeletal frame for the house we were going to live in together.

Well, putting that second part aside, the two red lights I’m seeing in the darkness are exactly like the sparks I saw splattering off the hot iron after it was struck.

[Iris]: “What is…..?”

When I voiced my curiosity, Lapris quickly replied.

[Lapris]: “I’ll be damned, they’re gnomes.”

[Iris]: “Gnomes? The earth spirits? That’s what you mean?”

The two red lights continued to bounce around at the center of the dome-shaped hall.

Gnomes. I haven’t heard that word since I ran into Grandpa when he was buying that book from my family’s store.

As spirits of the earth, you can find gnomes anywhere you would find a lot of soil, stones, or rocks. It is rare to find one because of how quick they are to hide themselves, but they’re supposed to be a relatively friendly spirit.

And yet, here they are. Bouncing around in the darkness while emitting a light I’ve never seen before.

Gnomes are always depicted as young girls in my adventure novels, but it’s too dark for me to check and make sure.

[Lapris]: “It feels like there’s something wrong with them. They aren’t normal.”

[Saluena]: “I feel the same. I smell the Primordial World coming off of them.”

When not just Lapris is saying it, but Saluena as well, the credibility of the information skyrockets.

[Iris]: “Primordial……could that mean something is controlling them like the shadow spirits at St. Noglint?”

[Saluena]: “Perhaps. Or perhaps the gnomes themselves strayed from the Goddess’s law and regained their Primordial power.”

Saluena drew her sword from her hip.

Kakon. Kakon. Kakon. Kakon.

[Saluena]: “They’re coming. Take the front Rosa. Leave Iris’s protection to me.”

[Rose]: “Yes Oneesama.”

Rose-san raised her mace and readied her shield. She then took a stance directly in front to protect us.

[Toslin]: “Carol”

[Carol]: “Right, I got it. I’ll watch from here, so hang in there.”

[Toslin]: “You get up there and fight with Rose!! It’s our job!!”

Toslin walked to the front as well, but not before kicking Carol’s butt to get her moving too.

Kakon. Kakon. Kakon. Kakon.

As the two lights rolled closer, they became bigger and more intense. It wasn’t until the sound grew so deafening that it made not just my eardrums but my entire body quake that it became impossible for me to look directly at them.

[Toslin]: “Come on seriously, isn’t this way too bright!? My eyes were just getting used to the darkness, and now this…….”

[Carol]: “If you just squint, it’s not really a problem?”