163

Chapter 15
Section 13: Nearing the Enemy
Magic can roughly be divided into three different types.

Magic that is exercised with the help of spirits.

Magic that calls a spirit to you and then utilizes the spirit.

And then the type of magic that spirits themselves use.

[Iris]: “Carol!! I need to get closer to that ball!!”

The Deceit Shield is less effective against magic that produces a physical effect. So whatever spell this sphere is using to melt the stone floor and turn it into magma, I can’t divert it.

So I’ll have to use some other means to prevent it from using magic.

[Carol]: “Okay~…….”

I called out to Carol who was the closest person standing to me before checking behind me again.

The older sister gnome was holding her sister’s hand while kneeling next to her on the towel we had laid out. Rose-san was still using her prayer with a serious expression, pouring all her focus into healing her patient.

It’s clearly going to take a little longer for the little sister gnome to be healed completely. So I can’t ask Rose-san to accompany me yet.

[Carol]: “It’s okay. Goldmund and I will handle things here. Saluena and Toslin are busy holding back the enemies though, so take Litzreich and Ashel with you.”

[Iris]: “Got it”

I nod and take a deep breath.

I’m about to plunge into a crowd of a hundred bold loires. This is a genuine, life-threatening assault, and I do not know how well Unicorn’s defensive barriers will hold up.

[Iris]: “………”

But I can’t not go. There is no way I can stay still when I see a sister so desperately praying for her little sister’s recovery.

[Iris]: “Then let’s move Lapris!! Don’t fall off!”

I wrapped my hands around Unicorn’s mane as she powered forward. Her hooves hit the hard floor, creating a pleasant sounding echo.

[Lapris]: “Ah, geez. If I knew this was going to happen, I would’ve stuck with Goldmund.”

[Iris]: “Don’t say that. You’re the only person here able to see magic power.”

Concerning the type of magic this sphere is using, it’s extremely unlikely that it consists of the first type.

There is almost zero chance that this is a person we’re dealing with. It would be one thing if it was like Litzreich’s magic shell and a person was wearing it, but it is a bit unreasonable to argue that even a single person could fit in that thing.

[Iris]: “Litzreich!! Ashel-sama!!”

Jumping over a fallen bold loire and slipping through a few of them that were still on their feet, we immediately made our way to Litzreich and Ashel-sama’s vicinity.

They were standing a short distance away from each other, haphazardly bashing or slashing the nearby enemies. Knight statues swung down their weapons from all directions, but the girls managed to parry or sidestep every attack thrown their way. It was as if they had eyes on the back of their heads.

[Litzreich]: “Iris!? Were you that worried about my body!?”

[Lapris]: “No fucking way!! Iris has to get closer to that ball!!”

[Ashel]: “…….I see, we must prevent it from using magic.”

Despite being stuck in the middle of an intense melee, they both seem like they have ample room to spare. Just what you would expect from the Brave and the deputy leader of the Shirayuri Knights.