9

Chapter 2
Section 5: Fairy Village
It was relatively warmer inside the cave. Of course that’s only when compared to outside, and my hands and feet are still felt numb from the cold. So while sticking close behind Toslin, I placed my hands over my mouth and tried warming them up with my breath.

“Watch where you’re walking Iris. If you slip and fall, it’s going to hurt.”

Carol walked in front with a torch in hand. Rocks were scattered all over the cave floor, and water was seeping through. As a result puddles were all over the uneven surface making it extremely slippery, especially with the moss that had managed to grow all over the place.

“R-Right……..I’ll be careful………awawa”

Just as I was saying I’d watch out, my foot ended up catching on something, and I started to fall backwards. Luckily Rose-san had taken the rear and caught me before I fell on my butt.

“T-Thank you very much………Rose-san.”

“Think nothing of it. As long as you’re not injured.”

Rose-san was wearing her usual smile even during a time like this. Surely she’s experienced all kinds of different things when compared to me. Obviously.

“Heeeey. Are you all right Iris?”

“Yes. Sorry. I’m fine.”

So far the cave has been only a single passageway large enough for three people to walk down shoulder to shoulder. But with these puddles all over, the footprints and bloodstains have completely disappeared.

“Ah~, that’s how it is. Iris is heavily equipped, so you might get a little wet, but it wouldn’t hurt if you fell on your butt right?”

“It’d still hurt. Seriously………..”

Carol is using every opportunity she gets to try and make fun of me and my wool underwear. But it’s fine. Who cares what she thinks as long as I’m warm.”

“Nevertheless, it’s unfortunate we can’t track their footprints anymore.”

“Yeah, the smell’s already disappeared too……… Well, it’s fine for now since there haven’t been any branching paths yet.”

The second Carol said that, my feet came to a halt.

“Huh………..?”

“Is something the matter?”

Seeing me stop, Rose-san walked next to me and tilted her head.

“What is it this time?”

Even when Toslin asks, I don’t know why my body had stopped or why an “Ah” had escaped my lips as if I had noticed something. There was definitely something………something had galloped through my brain forcing me to stop my feet………some kind of feeling.

“Umm………hmm sorry. It’s nothing. Or something……….”

“I know it’s scary, but everything’s fine. We won’t make the same blunder we did last time. Rest assured we’ll properly protect you this time.”

Toslin was probably talking about that goblin outside of the Swansea Forest the other day. But, that’s not what’s bothering me right now. It’s true that I’m scared, but this is………not anxiety, maybe something closer to a premonition.

“R-Right. Thanks………”

But, I hesitate to say that. Since Toslin is trying to comfort me, I should just obediently get comforted.

“Come, let’s keep going. Quinn-san is awaiting our arrival in the cave’s depths.”

Rose-san placed a hand on my shoulder.