52

Chapter 7
Section 3: Prayer to a Unicorn
“Ah, Onee-chan. Where have you been?”

The store is closed this time of night, so I had to come in through the back door. That was when I ran into Sarah who had steam rising off her body after having just gotten out of the bath.

“I was just seeing off Toslin and the others.”

“Toslin-san, you mean that elf knight!?”

I nodded while taking off my coat, and Sarah let out a small whine right on the spot.

“I wanted to see them off too…..”

“Even if you did, they’re just going to complete a job. It’s not like they’re leaving for another city. They’ll be back tomorrow morning.”

“Ah, so that’s how it is. It must be hard for adventurers to have to work at night.”

“Sarah. If you keep standing around like that forever, you’re going to catch a cold.”

Sarah jumped when the other knight in our lives, Saluena, spoke up.

“Oh, you’re probably right. I’ll go up to my room then. Saluena-sama, thanks for taking care of Onee-chan for me.”

“That is my job after all.”

Sarah gave a quick bow before skittering off.

“She’s quite levelheaded for her age.”

“Yep, my pride and joy little sister.”

Just as I was singing her praises, Sarah poked her head back from around the corner of the hallway.

“Oh, I almost forgot Onee-chan, I finished those wool panties you wanted me to make for you and left them on your bed!!”

After she finished saying what she had to say, Sarah’s footsteps echoed loudly as she once again ran off.

“Hoh……so Sarah made those wool undergarments herself. For someone of her age to be that adept with her hands, I’m becoming more and more impressed.”

I know Sarah didn’t mean any harm here. And Saluena just happened to be standing next to me.

“……r-right……? She’s even capable of knitting sweaters too. My sister really is amazing.”

But I still really wish she had told me that in secret if it were at all possible. These panties are vital for keeping me warm, but for other people to hear about it……is still embarrassing.

After having dinner and taking a bath, I slipped into bed and opened up a book. But even with the light of the candle fully illuminating the words scrawled across its pages, I couldn’t find it in me to read any of them.

“…….”

Right now Toslin, Carol, and Rose-san are all probably still walking through the cold night air. Maybe they ran into some monsters sooner than expected and are already fighting.

When you think about it normally, they’ve all grown to at least level 15 to become orange rank adventurers, so they should have enough strength to crush even that ice golem if they had to.

It’s hard to imagine somebody gaining that much strength in such a short amount of time, but adventurers are the type of people who can make that a reality.

There is a running theory that strong monsters have an ancient power dwelling within them, a vestige of the Primordial World, and when an adventurer slays those monsters, they absorb that power into themselves. Consequently, adventurers are obligated to undertake baptismal rites as a way to have them monitored. That way a second Dark Violet Knight will never manifest as it were.