59

Chapter 7
Section 10: A Friendly Chat for the First Time in a Long Time
“T-Then if it’s like that, then everything I said until now……”

“Honestly, I’m so sorry.”

Kutuna-san’s apology hour finally came to an end. In truth it was probably only a couple of minutes, but it definitely feels like they’ve been apologizing to me for an hour. These three’s presence has been that deeply engraved into my mind.

“But what could have happened in those ruins that’d prevent orange rank adventurers from returning?”

I’ve already explained to them how Toslin, Carol, and Rose-san haven’t yet returned after leaving to investigate those ruins. And Peachseed-san mumbled her thoughts aloud as she tried to figure out why that would be.

“Asking that right in front of her, being this insensitive again…….”

“Ah, no no! It’s fine, it really is fine. Saluena and I were just wondering the same thing…….”

I could feel Kutuna-san’s anger flaring up again, so I proactively went out of my way to put out the flames.

“The only thing of note from their first report was the presence of some ents around the city. There were nearly a dozen of them, but even then they’d be no match for Rosa……or so I thought.”

“Heh? But an ent isn’t the kind of enemy you can easily beat……”

Plumseed-san looked over towards Kutuna-san for confirmation.

“The three of us are green rank adventurers, so we should be able to take one on. There are individual differences of course, but by no means are they a weak enemy.”

“And they were able to kill a dozen of them in one night? Orange rank adventurers really are amazing.”

Peachseed-san was amazed after hearing Kutuna-san’s explanation. By the way, the Seed sisters were both level five, and Kutuna-san is level six. They’re all about the same level Toslin and the others were when I first met them.

“But, then does that meant that request we got was to check up on this?”

“A request?”

“Yeah, two days ago the guild got in contact and had us patrol the area around the ruins.”

“It was the first adventurer-like job we had gotten in so long. Ahh, it was the first time we got to eat meat in such a long time too.”

“Thinking about it now, instead of making sure nothing came from the ruins, our job might have actually been about making sure nobody from the city came to the ruins. That way they could search for this Tosrillon-san without worry.”

“It certainly makes sense.”

“Yeah…… If rumor started to spread that some orange rank adventurers had disappeared, people would grow anxious over what’s happening around the city…….”

Something almost certainly happened, but it may already be wrapped up. The guild is only looking out for the city’s well-being by not wanting to spread fear when their adventurers might come back at any moment.

“Yes, but was it really all right for us to eat like that after we were finished?”

Kutuna-san had said the three of them were making a living as lumberjacks before they got this patrol request. And it’s clear from Plumseed’s words that this situation has left their wallet a little on the light side until a few days ago.

“Yeah, it’s fine. We got a fairly large reward from the guild for it this time.”

“But now that I think about it, since there was a chance that a lot of ents might have ended up jumping us, doesn’t that mean it was a really dangerous job?”