50

Chapter 7
Section 1: Friend
A few days have passed since I returned home to Solretta Litta.

After being away for six months, I’m finally starting to get used to living in a house again, and while tending the store, I’m currently writing a letter. Two of them to be exact. One for Charlie in Rifront and another for Lutehorn whom I hit it off with when I met her in the Witch’s Cave just outside of Relton.

It hasn’t been that long since I parted with either of them, but I still wonder if they’re both doing well. I want to find out. So that’s why I’m writing them these letters. I’m a wonderfully diligent pen pal.

The petals from the tikarodeka everyone gave me peacefully expand outwards at the end of the store counter. I couldn’t fit them all into one vase, so besides here, there’s some laying out in my room, Sarah’s room, and the living room. Mom was especially happy to see such vividly colorful flowers when spring hadn’t even started yet.

“Heyoo~! Is Iris here?”

Just as I was starting to make some real progress on my letters, the store door burst open. The doorbell mechanically jingled as a black-haired girl walked in. That girl was Mycena, the daughter of the carpenter Roswald-san who I talked to a couple days ago. Her tied up hair swung behind her like a horse’s tail as she walked right up to the counter.

“What the heck Mycena? How many times do I have to tell you to open the door slowly? You’re going to break it.”

“Eh~ What’s with that reaction? Even though you’re meeting your best friend again for the first time in six months, I can’t hear even a single iota of deep, true emotion from you. For that matter, you’ve been home a couple days now and never even came to see me.”

“Eh~ I said hello to Roswald-san. Isn’t that good enough?”

“No, it’s not good enough. Who’s your best friend here? You have to come to see me personally.”

“You’re as noisy as always Mycenyan¹.”

“Aren’t I old enough that we can drop that nickname yet?”

Mycena circled around the counter and sat down next to me.

“What are you doing?”

“I’m writing a letter.”

“To who? The grandpa next door?”

“No, if I had something I wanted to say to Ojii-chan, I would just walk next door and tell him.”

The neighbor Mycena is talking about is Ferdinand-san, the mage who told me about my small amount of magic power and taught me what little I know about magic.

He used to be a magnificent mage who taught magic at a school in a foreign country. He’s retired now though and content living a quiet life with his wife. He’s also a regular here and will often buy a large number of books all at once. He actually came by just yesterday to put in an order.

“Eh, who then? I don’t think you have any other friends besides me right? Is it for a relative then?”

“Excuse me. I am more than capable of making friends. I mean it is true I don’t have many of them, but isn’t that because Mycena is always dragging me all over the place? I never had the time to play with any of the other kids……”

“No no, it almost sounds like you’re saying it’s my fault.”

“I am saying it’s your fault.”

Seriously, this girl……a warm sense of nostalgia filled my chest as I released a long sigh.

“I’m back Mycena.”