118

Chapter 12
Section 10: Friends
[Ashel]: “I heard from Yuhanna. You’re the Dark Violet Knight, Hadion correct?”

Ashel-sama’s back straightened in her seat as she turned towards Saluena.

[Saluena]: “Indeed. But that was a thousand years ago. Now I wield my sword for the Goddess’s promised one, Iris. And you may call Iris and the others heroes, but one of the dragon’s eyes had already been taken when they arrived, and that is not including the numerous other wounds the dragon had already suffered through. I assume that was your doing was it not? You were capable of weakening a dragon to that point, an act worthy of praise, so why are you so filled with regret?”

Ashel-sama’s posture stiffened all the more beneath Saluena’s sharp gaze. I could see her hands tighten into balls on top of her lap from my seat as she bit her bottom lip.

[Ashel]: “…..I was supposed to slay that dragon. At that time, at that place. If I had been able to accomplish that simple directive, nobody else need have suffered……”

Each word that passed through Ashel-sama’s quivering lips was smeared in her agony-inducing remorse.

[Carol]: “I don’t think it’s anything you need to bother yourself over. I mean, I did wonder why you couldn’t kill that thing right away. But Toslin told me that was incredibly slanderous of me.”

But what ended up coming out in response to that remorse was Carol’s energetic yet sluggish voice.

[Toslin]: “Cripes! Stop that! Are you trying to bring ruin to me and my house!? Do you even know who you’re talking to!?”

[Carol]: “Huh? Of course I know. It’s this country’s pri-…….prince right?”

…….were you about to say princess just now Carol?

[Carol]: “But, whether you’re a hero or not, it’s impossible for anybody to be able to take care of everything.”

[Saluena]: “That’s right. Thinking that everything that goes wrong is your fault is only arrogance. If you continue to trouble yourself like this, the only thing you will accomplish is crushing yourself with that remorse of yours.”

Saluena was talking with a much more serious look than usual.

(…..I see, even someone as powerful as Saluena wasn’t able to beat Oshunel.)

Nobody is all-powerful. It’s because Saluena knows that better than anyone else that she can’t stay quiet here.

[Saluena]: “And besides……I should be thanking you. It’s because you failed to slay the dragon that I can be here together with Iris like this.”

[Iris]: “Ah, yes. That’s right. We were all shocked, and it was a hard fight, but nobody died……”

[Lapris]: “Even though Iris almost killed me.”

[Iris]: “A-And Relton’s villagers seemed pleased with how things turned out. I heard them talking about how much money they would make from selling the dragon’s meat and its scales.”

[Carol]: “Ah, that reminds me, the dismantling of that dragon should be starting around now. We should be able to pick up our share of the materials if we head over in the summer. It should be lots of fun!!”

[Toslin]: “And I hear the hot springs that open up during the summer are nice and refined.”

[Rose]: “Fufu, indeed.”

[Lapris]: “Oi, don’t just ignore me.”

Ashel-sama’s expression softened a bit as she watched all of us laugh over our cups of tea.