47

Chapter 6
Section 11: Baptismal Rites
“But if I am to investigate some ruins, it will be a difficult task for me alone.”

Rose-san accepted Aronda-san’s request, but she added on a small caveat afterwards. She turned around after that, pointing her gaze towards Saluena…..at least that was where I thought it would go until her eyes continued to move, locking in on Toslin.

“Toslin-san and Carol-san. May I ask for your cooperation?”

“Of course you may. If it’s Rose-san’s request I’ll be happy to listen. However…..”

“However you get what you pay for.”

Having been quietly napping on my lap until now, Carol’s eyes suddenly shot open.

“Wa, oh my gosh!!”

Her drooping head suddenly jumped up, a hair’s breadth away from clocking me right in the nose. Dangerous, super dangerous.

“Yes, there is the matter of payment. I am asking you to risk your lives, so of course such a task would not go unrewarded. What say you on the matter Aronda-san?”

“Of course we are more than willing to provide compensation in accordance with your abilities. That goes for Priestess Rosalith as well.”

“Just as I thought. Exactly what I’d expect from a church. They know how these things work.”

In the past Toslin and Carol had told me the church pays very well, and I guess they weren’t lying. Well, they have believers all over the world, so the total amount of donations they get must be incredible……is something I probably shouldn’t say out loud too often.

“Is it fine if we decide on remuneration after we’ve measured everyone’s strength?”

“I do not mind. Honestly, it has been over half a year since I was last measured, so I should be the one asking you.”

“There wasn’t a church in Rifront after all. We’ve killed a golem and a dragon, so I bet we’ve leveled up.”

“Although Iris was the one who technically beat them.”

“……..”

Aronda-san’s gaze fell on me.

“Eh, wha……..what is it?”

I was startled and quickly looked behind me to see if she was looking at somebody else.

“I never doubted the oracle, but still, to hear that you’ve slain a dragon…….I found it somehow hard to believe.”

You never had a doubt but still doubted, well which is it? That being said, it would normally be impossible to believe that an ordinary bookstore girl like me killed a dragon. I’m still skeptical about it myself. Maybe that was just a dream, and everyone has just been pulling my leg ever since.

“It is true Priestess Aronda. Iris-san was braver than anyone else there and continued fighting until the very end without ever giving up hope. And as a result, a miracle was born.”

“Yep yep, I really did think a miracle was happening back then.”

“I was unconscious at the time, so I didn’t actually see anything I’m afraid.”

“Gentle maiden. Your oracle was truth. Iris performed a miracle that night, stopping a dragon’s breath. The fact that I stand before you now is the greatest proof of this.”

“I-I am terribly sorry Hadion-sama. As a priestess, I should not be making remarks that cast doubt on an oracle.”

Every time this gets brought up I end up feeling really uncomfortable and start fidgeting in place.