chapter 80

The first place they went to was in the northwest side of the provincial capital. It was a boisterous place where there was crammed with full of vendors and gangs of villains, all in a mess yet prosperous. So when they arrived, they could hear babel of voices while all manners of peddlers cried their wares in the street.

Though they had just finished their breakfast, Song Qinghan still felt a bit hungry when he stared at dazzling assortment of street food.

Wu Dahu found out the desire in the eyes of Song Qinghan, he pondered and then asked while smiling, “What would you like to try? Let’s check out the flavor here in this provincial capital.”

Song Qinghan hesitated for a moment, but then he got inspiration all of a sudden when he fumbled in his pocket and touched the ticket draft in a bulge. Following the most fragrant smell, they approached to a stall which sold fried stuff.

Upon seeing Song Qinghan and Wu Dahu, the peddler greeted enthusiastically, “What tastes do you like? My dearest guests, sweet or salty?”

Song Qinghan pondered for a moment, and then turned to Wu Dahu, saying slowly, “Swee… sweet ones.”

“Alright! So do you prefer ones with more oil or less?”

“less oil please.”

The peddler who had got the information reacted immediately, he then wrapped two pieces of sugar oil cake up in one kraft paper sack, saying, “Try this out, you must love it.”

Song Qinghan was actually more curious about other kinds of street food. After all, he had tried sugar oil cakes thousand times already in modern time. It would just be boring if he tried this again without getting another.

The peddler got his face sullen all of a sudden noticing that Song Qinghan didn’t even stretched forth his hands to take over the food, he said while showing a gloomy face, “I have already packed them up, are you going to throw them away?”

Wu Dahu frowned while he noticed that people around were all gathering their gaze over, and then he took out ten cooper coins and put them into the peddler’s hands. But just as he was about to take the kraft paper sack, the peddler retreated his hand, while saying arrogantly, “Hey, ten more copper coins are required.”

Song Qinghan frowned, “What? Ten cooper coins for each sugar oil cake?”

The peddler held his arms while answering without fear, “How I set the price is my own business. But whether you buy or not is your own business.”

The other peddlers who had cold and cheerless ambience on their own stalls today approached them one after another, all of them swarmed into the back of that arrogant peddler, as if they were another gang of bandit.

Without intention to cause any trouble, Wu Dahu took out another ten cooper coins and put them all into the peddler’s hands, while taking over the kraft paper sack and leaving with Song Qinghan.

Not until they left far away from the stall did Song Qinghan started complaining, “How come all the peddlers here are so unreasonable, they make trouble out of nothing!”

He took out one of the bamboo tags from the kraft paper sack with rage and bit down one of the sugar oil cake in resentment. He then murmured while chewing the food in his mouth for a moment, “Despite the fact, it tastes quite good though…!”

The freshly fried sugar oil cake was incomparably delicious in crisp outside with tenderness inside, the flavor of it was quite superb. In addition, with the melted sugar covered on the cake’s surface, it delivered an enchanting look for the passersby.