LUKANETTE S4 - CROCODUEL - PT 2

JULEKA'S POV

Later than night, under the deck of the Liberty, I entered the bedroom I share with Luka while he is playing his electric guitar.

I scratched my arm nervously. I wanted to talk to him about Dad, but I wasn't sure how to bring it up. I've never been the best with words.

'Hey... I'd like to have a party here with the gang on Saturday, for our birthday.'

Luka stops playing his guitar. 'Great idea!'

'And actually, um... well... I was thinking we could invite Dad...

Luka gasped. 'Awesome idea! I mean, I'd like to, but not sure how mom would feel about it. Maybe we should ask her first?'

'Sure...okay...' I replied, looking down sadly.

'Was there something else?' Luka asked.

I felt conflicted. What was I supposed to say? I want to invite Dad so I can try to develop the same level of relationship you seem to have built up with him in just a few months? I was happy for my brother, don't get me wrong. He's been wanting a father figure in his life ever since we were like 3 years old. Me on the other hand, I didn't really care one way or the other. I could have gone through my whole life with my brother as the father figure in my life. He basically loves me like a Dad does. But now I know who my father is I find myself wanting to get to know him better. I just want him to notice me and listen to me. But it just seemed to be Dad and Luka glued at the hip ever since we found our Jagged is our Dad. Whenever Luka's not with Mari, he's with Dad. I know it sounds like I'm jealous, but is it too much to ask for a little daddy daughter time?'

Luka was still looking at me, waiting for an answer.

'No.' I said, looking away, not being able to bring myself to lie to his face. 'No.'

I mustn't have been very convincing because Luka stood up from the bed and approached me. 'Juleka, I know that look. You're holding back something in there, that needs to come out.'

I froze, wondering how I would even approach this. I didn't have to wonder for long as a knock on the window startled us both. It was Dad.

'Dad?' Luka says as he opens the window for Jagged to enter.

'Luka! Hey, son! How's it strumming?' Dad says as he swings in the window and fist bumps with Luka.

'Rock and roll!' they said together.

Great, they have a fist bump thing and a common catch phase now? How can I compete with that? I thought to myself.

'Hi' I say from behind the open window. But I look downcast as I get unnoticed.

'Ready for the chord of the day, my boy? The diminished D7. I use it in all my tear-jerking ballads!' Dad said to Luka.

Then Mom came in furious. 'Jagged Stone, you scallywag! No stowaways on my ship! Disembark my house right this instant!'

'Hey, Anarka! Rock and roll! How'd you know I was here? I was being so sneaky!' Dad replied nervously.

'"Sneaky"?? Ha! Your tour bus is parked on the dock, you one-hit wonder!' Mom replied angrily.

'Nanarky, you can't keep me from teaching the diminished D7 to my son!' Dad replied indignantly.

'I appreciate you trying to create a bond with your children, Jagged. But no one sets foot on my houseboat without the captain's permission, and that captain is me!' Mom replied.

'Well then, Mom, uh, with your permission, could Dad come to our birthday on Saturday?' Luka asked. 'Juleka wants to throw a party.'

Dad turns around and sees me behind the open window and jumps as if I was a spider. I looked down once again. I didn't think I was that scary.

'Oh, hey, Juleka! Rock and roll! I didn't see you there!'

Nobody ever does, I might as well be invisible I thought to myself.

'Juleka, you really want this old pirate to be at your birthday?' Mom asked me.

'I— um...' I said nervously as I pulled the window door closer to me. 'Yes.'

Dad laughs triumphantly. 'Awesome! See you on Saturday then!' He jumps out the window only to hit the wall, whimpering... 'Rock and roll!' as he falls into the river.

Mom shook her head. 'I suppose I'd better organise a cake for the occasion then!' Mom said. 'Where from Mom?' Luka asked. 'Tom and Sabine's bakery of course! And I'll do one of my infamous fireworks displays too!' she winked, as she left the room. Luka and I smiled.

Luckily after Dad's appearance Luka seemed happy that he was coming to our birthday party, and forgot all about probing me for what was really wrong. But being alone with my thoughts didn't make for very sweet dreams that night.

That night, I had a nightmare. I dreamt that I was akumatised into a villain called "Isolator" at our birthday party. I put all my friends in isolation boxes including my brother, no way out, no sound, just silence... I used my powers and once they were all in isolation boxes except Dad, I finally had him all to myself! I smiled, at my triumph. But suddenly Ladybug and Cat Noir showed up and freed everyone. But they had all turned into...ME.

I woke up with a scream, awakening Luka in the process. I gasped for air, reaching for the bracelet on my wrist, where I put the charm Ladybug had given me to stop me from getting akumatised again. I relaxed when I felt that it was still there.

'Juleka, are you okay? What happened?' Luka asked, sitting down on my bed and hugging me. 'Nothing, it was just a nightmare of getting akumatised into Reflekta again' I lied.

'It's okay Jules' Luka soothed me. 'Ladybug gave you a charm to stop that from ever happening again, remember?'

'Yeah, I know, I'm okay now. Thanks bro. Goodnight' I smiled.

'Goodnight sis' Luka smiled, kissing my hair and going back to his own bed.