Serial Killer

I know it's true. This guy deserves to die. He killed a bunch of people and I will do whatever it takes to get him. Since he committed murders in California, he would be under the threat of the death penalty.
"Ross you can't risk your life just to get this guy."
My voice is raised.
"Why not? You did, and you still do."
"It's not the same. I'm not going after a serial killer."
"How do you know? You could be."
"You don't understand. This guy almost killed Castle, and Ryan."
"So? He hasn't met me yet, I'm sure he would love to."
"I can't let you do that. If he finds out you are looking for him he will kill you."
"So what? I won't let him find out then."
"No!"
"WHY?! I won't stop until he is dead. Who cares if I die in the process? All of these people's lives he's ruined would have some justice knowing the person who caused all this pain is gone. If I die, I'm just one more person. And no one cared about one more person. I will just become another statistic in the data that is The Murders Of Jerry Tyson. One more person Beckett. And no one would care."
"How can you say that? I would care! So would everyone else! I know it's hard! Trust me I do! But we can't win wars, only battles. You of all people should know that!"
"Maybe I'm sick of winning battles. Hell I'm sick of losing them. I just want to win the war!"
"And what if you don't?"
This stops me.
"What did you just say?"
"What happens if you don't win this war?"
My blood runs cold. I clench my fists at my side, and my nails dig into my skin.
"I will. And you can't stop me."
Her eyes flash.
"I know I can't and that's what scares me." She sighs.
She takes my hand.
"I promise you we will get him. Ok?"
"Ok."

I spend the rest of the day working on my dads case, and figuring out absolutely nothing. I glance at the clock, and decide its time to leave. No one has bothered me all day. I have seen everyone, but no one has even acknowledged me. I walk back to Ryan's apartment, and he is there when I open the door.
"Hey. You doing ok?" He asks concerned.
I look at the mirror next to me and am startled by my own appearance. I have never looked more tired. My face is red and I have dark circles under my eyes. I look thin. My whole body is sagging, like I'm ready to keel over at any second. I sink into the couch and Ryan moves next to me. He puts his arms around me and I rest my head against his shoulder. I unwillingly close my eyes and try to fight the sleep that's coming. But I can't.