My Day

May 29th

I wake up at 6. I have spent the last few days working on my dads case, but I have gotten absolutely nowhere. I get out of bed and walk into the kitchen.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" Yells Ryan pulling me into a hug.
"What?" I say as I let go.
"It's your birthday!"
"Oh. Yeah. I forgot."
I grab a bowl and a spoon and fill it with cereal and milk.
I sit down at the table and start eating.
Ryan sits next to me.
"Come on its your birthday! Go crazy have ice cream for breakfast!"
"How bout no? I'll stick to my cereal thanks."
"It's your day!"
"It's just another day. It's not a big deal."
"You're fifteen! It only happens once!"
"I know."
He sighs. "Ok what do you want to do today? We can all do something together!"
"Ok! I know what we could do!"
He gets excited. "What?"
"Work!" I say sarcastically.
"Aw. I was ready to go knock off a gas station or something."
"Ryan you're a cop!"
"Yeah I know."
"But for future reference I know a guy thy can make it look like an accident." I say. We both start laughing.
"Ok I'm ready to go are you?" I ask Ryan.
"Yeah I'll drive."
I pause considering my options.
"Actually, I'm gonna walk. I want to get used to walking without a cast."
"Are you sure you are ok with being alone on your birthday?"
"Yeah I have been for the last two years. It's fine really."
"Ok." He says reluctantly.

I make my way to the precinct slowly. I take in every detail of the route as I walk. I look up at the cloudless sky and do something I haven't done in awhile. I find the nearest park bench and sit in it.
"Hey Mama. Hey Daddy and Dom and Brandi and Jamie." I am whispering.
"I miss you guys. I wish we could be celebrating my birthday together. You guys always made me the best cake."
I swallow hard before continuing.
"It sucks you don't get to see me turn fifteen. But I know you are there watching me. Anyways I just wanted to say that I love you. And I promise I will find the people who tore us apart. Ok. I'm going now. I'll talk to you later." I continue sitting for a few minutes. The breeze rustles the leaves and I can hear the usual bustle of the City that Never Sleeps. The sun on my face feels amazing, and I wish I could sit here all day taking in every single ray, but unfortunately real life awaits me.

I arrive at the precinct half and hour later. The doors of the elevator open and I walk inside. Everyone is gathered around Beckett's desk.
"Hey what's happening?" They all turn around.
"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" They all yell. Castle is holding a cake in his hands. It is a simple circle with white frosting and blue edging with sprinkles. It's my dream cake.
"How did you know?"
They all smile.
"Your Aunt Rose is a cake decorator. Apparently you told her quite a bit about what a cake should look like."
I look around. Everyone is here. Castle and Beckett, Ryan and Esposito, Lanie and Gates, and even Alexis and Martha.
"Well, make I wish."
I close my eyes and think of a wish before blowing out all fifteen candles in one breath. The cake is cut, and I get the first slice.

Everyone is conversing with one another. I take my beautiful slice of cake and walk into another room and look out the window while eating it. I'm deep in thought when I hear a voice behind me.
"What are you doing in here alone?"
Castles voice is soft.
I shrug my shoulders. I throw my empty plate in the trash can next to me, and he follows suit.
"Castle this is really great thank you so much. I can't believe anyone would do this for me."
"All of us would do this for you. And this is nothing. All we did was bake you a cake. Just wait till later... Oops I wasn't supposed to say anything. Man! Oh well you would have found out anyways."
"Wait what's happening later?"
"I can't tell you, it wouldn't be a surprise if I did."
I glare at him. "Fine."
"So how are you?"
"Fine." I reply again.
"No, mean really. How are you? I mean this can't be easy. It's your birthday and you only have us."
"Well it's not 'only you.' You guys are my family. Yes, I will admit its hard right now, but I've been through worse."
He takes me in his arms.
"I wish I could bring them back. I wish I could have gone with them."
"Hey don't say that. Like you said, we are your family now. And we are never leaving."

We walk together back to the "party."
"Hey who's hungry? Lunch is on me." Castle says.
They all murmur their general answers of yes.
"But one condition. Ross gets to choose where we go." They all turn to me expectantly and I feel my face turning red.
"I don't know. Where do you guys want to go?"
"We can't answer that! You have to choose." Says Alexis smiling.
"Ok umm... Wow this is hard."
I'm not even all that hungry, but I don't want to disappoint anyone.
"How about El Palmar?"
El Palmar is my favorite Mexican restaurant. I have only been there a few times though, and I haven't gone in a few years.
"Ok, sounds great!"

After lunch I bring my large amounts of leftovers back to the precinct and put them in the fridge if the break room.
The rest of the work day is uneventful. Everyone has left except for Ryan.
"Hey Ryan can we go?"
"Wow that's a first. Ok yeah lets go."
I am sad I didn't get to say goodbye to everyone but whatever.

We walk in the front door, and the lights are off.
"SURPRISE!" The lights are turned on and everyone is back here.
I am completely forgot about Castle saying something about later.
They all hand me their presents.
"You guys didn't have to get me presents!"
"Yeah we did. Come on open them!" Cries Lanie from an unseen corner.
I open them one by one carefully, and thank the person who gave it to me every time. After I open them all, I end up with more clothes which I desperately needed, a few books, and a beautiful bracelet with a charm of California and New York on it.
"Hey here's the last one. It's from me, Alexis and Martha." Castle hands me a flat present covered in simple blue wrapping paper. I carefully unfold the edges before opening it all the way.
When I do, I gasp in shock.
The picture of the Brooklyn Bridge from my house back home is in my hands.
"Castle. How did you.?" I trail off.
"Thank you guys so much for everything. This was amazing. I loved it. I love you guys." I say goodbye one by one as they file out the door slowly.
I pick up all the trash with Ryan. I put everything in my room and change.
Ryan walks in.
"Hey I want to wish you one last happy birthday."
"Thanks. It was great, I had a great time."
He hugs me and kisses my forehead.
"Do you need me to stay?"
"No it's ok. Ill tell you if I need you though." He is satisfied with this answer.
"Ok. Love you!"
"Love you too!' I reply.
I am exhausted, and I roll over.
And for the first time in over a month, I don't have a nightmare while I am asleep by myself.