You Owe Me

I grin a little at Oliver's words. Story of my life.

"Are you okay going home? Is your family looking for you?"

"No, I told them what happened when you were asleep and the power lines went back up. They'll pick me up in a few minutes."

"Okay. Thank you for keeping me safe Oliver. And calm."

His eyes meet mine, and they sparkle for a moment. He leans in and kisses me, and it feels like I got the wind knocked out of me. He took my breath away. He runs a finger over the bruise on my neck and I shiver.

But I pull back, and he frowns.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm sick Oliver. You don't want to get sick too."

"I don't care if it means I can kiss you."

He leans in again, and I place a hand on his chest.

"Stop."

"Are you okay? Am I causing flashbacks?"

"No, but I don't want you to get sick because then we really couldn't kiss."

He smiles. "Fine. But when you get better I want that kiss back. You owe me."

"Alright."

"Samantha." Beckett calls gently from behind me.

"I have to go." I say and turn towards Beckett.

"Wait, are you sure I'm not hurting you?" Oliver asks.

"I'm sure." I say.

But it's only Beckett I can't lie to.

"I'll talk to you later then?"

"Of course." I reply.

I get in the front seat of Beckett's car, exhausted. As always.

I get in bed, it's already morning. Three, actually.

As soon as I close my eyes, the nightmares hit.

My mom walks next to me, holding my hand in the warm summer morning. Her forehead glistens slightly in the hot air. We wear old jeans and ratty t-shirts, hair pulled into lazy ponytails.

She walks slower than I do, and she quickly falls behind my rapid pace. It's become more difficult for her lately, she loses her breath quickly. I haven't thought anything of it, until today.

I hear a thud behind me, and she falls onto the hard gray pavement.

"Momma!" I race to her side. I'm not sure what' s wrong. "Help, please someone help!"

Almosy immediately, a resident nearby rushes out of their house and dials 911.

Sirens come racing down the street minutes later, the loud noises shooing away everyone in the truck's path.

EMTs race out with a gurney and lift her onto it. I follow them in and sit next to her, scared out of my mind.

They do so much to her.

The ride is short, but it lasts forever.

The doors fly open to reveal blinding sunlight, and she's gone. They all are.

I wait in the hospital for hours, my dad is the only one that comes.
He tells me my siblings are home. I can go wait with them.

I try to ignore the tears in his eyes. I've never seen him cry before, even in our terrible situations.

I refuse, I want to wait no matter what happens.

So I do.

Hours pass slowly, in my plastic chair in the corner of the white walls.

My dad walks out, a grim look on his face.

"I need you to go home babe."

He's called me that for as long as I can remember. My brother is bud.

"Why? Is Momma okay?"

"She'll be fine, but she's going to stay here for a little while. The walk is short, you can do it yourself."

He hugs me, and I listen to him. I take the short way home.

Two weeks later, so does Momma. She's pale, and can't walk on her own. A tube protrudes from her chest, and a matching one from her hip.

We are so happy she's back!

But it's taken its toll on my parents. There are black circles under my dad's eyes, and he bears a visitors badge on his chest.

We don't have much insurance, so I know that trip cost everything we have.

It seems fine for a month, until I come home from school one day and she's not there.

We are all confused.

Someone knocks on the front door and we are all happy to see her.

"Get your shoes on, we're going to the hospital." She says solemnly to the four of us.

Suddenly a feeling hits me in the stomach like a ton of bricks, the smell of her sweet shampoo turns rancid, and the flowers in her hand make too much sense.

"No," I whisper, and start to cry.

"I'm sorry." Aunt Rose takes me in her arms and I sob uncontrollably into them.

The door to her room in ICU is closed, and a nurse opens it slowly for us.

By now, most of my family is here. Fifty or sixty of us crammed into one tiny space.

"She's brain dead." A nurse tells me softly. "I'm sorry."

My crying has gone so far that I can't feel my hands.

I kneel at the foot of her bed and grab her foot, covered in a blanket.

All we can do is wait.

It doesn't take long, half an hour at most, but laying there unknowingly surrounded by the people she loves, her EKG flatlines.

A nurse turns off the machine, and I can't take it anymore.

I run out of the room, dodging everyone, and down the hall.

I sink to the floor, crying.

I just watched my mom die.

And I didn't get to say goodbye.

My eyes fly open after the worst nightmare I've ever had, and Beckett is holding me.

I sob now awake, having flashbacks to that moment.

After a few minutes, I go quiet, and Beckett lays me down in bed. She lays next to me.

I make sure I'm touching her side, being away from her right now would be bad.

"What was it about?" She asks softly.

"I'll tell you in the morning." I whisper, for it is far to painful to relive that one more time tonight.

----------------------------------------------------

Sorry her dream was so long, this was something I wrote from my personal background, because I took her dream from my life and changed it a bit.