workmen

My eyes flutter open. They burn a little bit because the sun is so bright.

Oliver looks over at me and smiles.

"You ok?"

I nod. "What time is it?"

He looks at his watch. "A little after eleven."

I groan.

"What's wrong?"

He scoots closer to me and puts his arm around my shoulder. I lean against him.

"Look what I caused. Espo could have been killed. His apartment is ruined. The team now has to solve this case."

"You could have been killed too. You forgot to include that in your list. But Espo's apartment isn't ruined. Only one room has bullet holes. And they would have found out eventually about this stalker. Why didn't you at least tell me?"

"You would have told the team. I didn't want that to happen."

"I don't understand you sometimes. But whatever, just next time something like this happens you tell me ok?"

"Ok."

"You wanna go back now?"

"Not really but I don't have much of a choice."

-----------------------------------------------------

A lot of the chaos of the apartment has calmed down since we left. CSU is gone and only the team and a few other officers are here.

They glance at us as we walk in, and I stare at the floor.

"Samantha let's go. We're going to the precinct." Beckett sounds urgent.

"Why?"

"I'll explain when we get there."

"Wha-can Oliver come?"

Her phone rings and she puts it on speaker.

"Lanie what's up?"

"Someone just shot a bullet into my apartment. I don't know if it was an accident or not."

My eyes widen in fear and my breath hitches.

"Lanie get out of there, get out right now drive to the precinct as fast as you can and pick up Alexis and Martha on the way."

"Kate what's going on?"

"I'll explain when you get there."

She hangs up.

"Ryan go get Jenny and go to the precinct."

He nods and rushes out the door.

"Espo you take the two of them to the precinct. I'll be there with Castle in a few."

I'm frozen to my spot. I can't comprehend what's happening.

It's going so fast.

I shake my head in disbelief.

"Samantha let's go!" Espo grabs my hand and pulls me along with Oliver following behind.

We get in his car and he starts driving. He keeps glancing in the mirror to make sure no one is following us.

We arrive a few minutes later and he hustles us inside.

By the time we get up to the homicide floor Lanie, Alexis, Martha, Ryan, and Jenny are there.

The elevator opens and Beckett and Castle file out.

"What is going on in here?" Gates sounds asked.

"Sir, Ross has a stalker. He shot at Esposito and Lanie's apartments. We think he is targeting people he has seen her with, the people she cares about. I brought them here because I thought they would be safer."

"A stalker? What do we know about him?"

"Only that he's dangerous Sir. And he may be involved in her father's case."

"Find him. I want this bitch in a holding cell by tonight."

"Yes Sir."

She turns towards Espo and Ryan.

"Trace the number. I want to know who it belongs to. The rest of you stay in the break room until I say so."

They seem too calm, like they don't care I put them in danger.

"Samantha that includes you."

"I would deserve it," I whisper.

"Hey! This is not your fault. But please, don't let me have to solve your murder."

I throw my arms around her, and I can tell she's surprised.

"Please be careful."

"I will be. You need to also."

She kisses me on the forehead before I too go into the break room.

Oliver looks eager as I meet him at the door.

"C'mon you need to stay safe."

"I can't do anything in here. I'm useless. I'm better out there helping them! That way he'll target me instead."

"You can't do anything more than what they are."

"But-"

"Do it for us. Stay here where you're safe."

I sigh, not wanting to listen but I know I have to.

He sees me give in and takes my hand leading me to the couch.

We wait in silence for hours, watching the time tick by on the clock on the wall.

The window slowly turns dark, and we watch the moon rise above the horizon and I feel restless. What is taking so long? Are they all ok?

The clock reads 9:00, and I bury my face in my hands.

My phone buzzes violently in my pocket, startling me as I scramble to get it out.

You'll be so surprised when you see me. I can't wait. They will find me in three...two...one... be there in ten.

I pretend it was nothing. Why will I be surprised?

I wait nine minutes and fifty seconds before standing up and running to the elevators.

"Samantha!" They all call after me, but I ignore them.

The doors open and Ryan and Espo lead in a man I know all too well.

"Connor?"

His lips curl into a cruel sneer.

"Surprised?"

I am. I cover my mouth with my hands in shock.

How could he?