Oliver's Story

"Really?"

"By far."

"Thank you."

I blush.

"So what's your story?"

He chuckles.

"Sit back, this might take awhile."

With that, he begins.

"Well I was born in Napa. I had my parents and my little sister Lydia. We owned a small vineyard. And yes I know that's stereotypical. I had a beautiful horse, and so did everyone in my family. One day I went out riding with my dad. Everything was going well until we got to the small creek that ran through our property. My dad's horse saw a squirrel and went crazy. He bucked my dad off and trampled him. That scared my horse who in turn bucked me off. He stepped on me, but I wasn't as hurt as my dad. The horses then ran off and I called 911. But by the time they got there, it was too late. My dad died."

"Oh my God Oliver! I'm so sorry!"

I'm stunned by his tale.

"Hey, I should be saying that to you. You've gone through a lot more pain than me."

"You can't compare one person's grief to another."

"I know. Anyways, I was taken to the hospital. I had a broken leg, and the doctors told me I may never be able to walk again. But I did. And after that, it was too painful to live there, so we moved here. My mom is a psychologist now, and Lydia is my best friend. She's 13."

I shake my head in disbelief.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"I'm sorry you had to go through everything you went through."

"Hey, without all of that I wouldn't have met you or the team. Sometimes there is a silver lining."

He cocks his head.

"Yeah, I agree."

He looks at me and smiles.

Ring ring!

His phone goes off.

"Hey Mom." He answers.

"Yeah I'll be back in twenty. Ok. I love you too, bye."

He sets down his phone.

"Look, I'm really sorry but I have to go. I'll talk to you later though ok?"

"Sounds good."

He smiles and walks out of my sad little room in the secluded part of the hospital.

I look down at my arm, covered in ugly scars and permanent bruises.

I run my fingers across the newest scars, from about a month ago.

The urge to cut kicks in, and I know I can't.

I turn on my side painfully and pull my knees up.

I ignore the fire in my chest the best I can, but soon I find tears escaping my eyes.

Suddenly I feel a hand on my back and I jump.

I instantly regret it.

"Ouch." I whisper as the consequences for my action immediately set in.

My heart rate shoots up fantastically, sending a nurse in.

She quickly adjusts my morphine drip and leaves, first making sure I'm ok.

After she walks out I hear a concerned voice behind me.

"I'm so sorry I didn't mean to scare you. Are you ok?"

Lanie's voice is comforting in my ears.

I nod slowly.

I hold my arms out for a much needed hug.

She wraps her arms around me and I bury my face in her shoulder.

I immediately calm down, and the beeping of the heart monitor slows down considerably.

"Lanie, can you stay with me?"

"Of course baby."

She lays down next to me, and I feel myself getting tired.

"Lanie?"

"Yes love?"

I yawn.

"Oliver... was here... He asked... me out. I said yes."

Lanie takes my hand.

"I'm really happy for you!"

And with those words in mind, I close my eyes and allow myself to fall into the darkness.