Dog Tags

Ross pov

"Yeah, I was deployed for a year. Why?"

"Samantha never told me that."

"I didn't think it was important."
I say.

"Was Anthony Richards anyone in your squad?"

"No I would definitely remember if he was. All of them were brothers to me." Nick replies. He looks at me. "Do you still have what I sent you?"

"Of course." I reach down to grab my necklace. "Your other dog tag. I wear it sometimes with my nickel necklace, but I always have it on me. I pin it to the inside of my jacket when it's not around my neck. While you were gone, I didn't take it off. I was so worried that something would happen to you if I did."

"I told you I would be okay."

"That doesn't mean anything! That's what my mom said too. You left, left me. I was alone for the first three months of your deployment, until I found the team. You got out of jail, saw I was adopted, and then left. You didn't even tell me in person, or come check up on my new "parents". I left the next week, living on the streets. And you couldn't help me. You took care of me, and then you left, and I didn't know if I'd ever see you again." My tone has suddenly changed, and no one can miss the pain in my voice.

I stun him into silence."I'm so sorry. After I got out, and you were with someone else, I had nothing to live for. If something would happen to me, no one would miss me. I've always loved our country, and what better way to show it? I thought maybe I could come back a hero, and I could be with you. Little sis, I did it for you."

I sigh, my anger suddenly fizzling out.

"I know. But I wish you hadn't. I was so scared something would happen to you, that one day I would get a phone call or a letter in the mail telling me you were dead. And the only thing I got from you were your extra dog tags. Not a single phone call or letter."

"And I regret that, I really do. But I can't change what I did. The only thing I can do is be here for you now."

I believe him. I know he regrets leaving me, and I don't want him to feel worse about something that's made him feel guilty since he left.

"Oh and," he pauses. "Why the hell wouldn't you tell us you go shot at yesterday?!" He practically yells at me.

I clear my throat. "I'm not sure-"

"Don't start Samantha." Beckett interrupts me. "You should have told me the second it happened. We'll find Nick's shooter, but you can't be involved."

Suddenly my heart pounds a little faster.

"The hell I won't be."

"I can't have this happen again. You're too close too this case!"

"I am not!" I yell, but as soon as the words tumble from my mouth, a sharp pain lights every nerve in my arm and head on fire, and I have to squeeze my eyes shut and my lips tight to keep from making any noise. But the pain leaves just as soon as it came.

I exhale deeply and open my eyes again.

Everyone stares at me with a worried look.

"I'm okay," I mumble, to no one in particular.

"Are you sure?" Nick asks.

"I said I'm okay," I snap, angry that everyone's always so worried about me. I can take a little pain.

My voice softens. "Nick you need to go lay back down. You don't need to strain anything."

"No, no I need to stay with you."

"Beckett, get him out of here. Please, he needs to rest."

Nick grabs onto my hand in desperation. "No, no please!"

"Beckett!"

"C'mon Nick, she's right. You need to or you could get hurt worse. Let's go."

She takes his arm, and he unwillingly walks with her, but he faces me as he stumbles out the door.

"I love you! I love you."

When he's gone, I look at Ryan.

"Uncle Ryan, you need to too."

"No, I don't want to leave you."

"Jenny." I look at her and she nods.

"Kevin she's right. You both need to get better and the only way that will happen is if you get some rest."

He seems torn, but decides to listen to Jenny.

"I'll come back later okay?"

I nod.

Now only Castle and Espo remain.

Beckett appears in the doorway.

"Castle, come with me to the precinct? We have some work to do. Espo you stay here with her, I want you to keep an eye on her and Nick and Ryan, just in case."

"Beckett I'm fine, but you need to be careful, please."

"I will be, but I'm leaving Espo here with you. We'll be back tomorrow. You need to get some rest. Espo make sure she eats and stays hydrated. Her IV is a start but she needs to be drinking water too. And pay attention to her concussion, don't let her lose the oxygen tube."

Espo takes in her orders.

"Okay. I love you. I'll be back later."

When her and Castle leave I glance at Espo.

"Tío I'm fine, I really am. You don't need to stay."

"Samantha, I'm not leaving so give it a rest."

Looking at him, I can tell he's serious. I heed Beckett's words and I lie back down, but I don't go to sleep.

I toss and turn in bed, in pain.

"Samantha are you doing okay?" Espo asks, obviously worried.

I grunt, letting him know I'm still alive.

Dinner comes, and Espo helps me sit up.

"I'm not really hungry Espo."

He opens the package which consists of chicken and gravy with peas. He hands me a white plastic fork.

"Just eat some, okay?"

I slowly start to eat. After it's a third of the way gone I set down my fork.

"I can't do anymore. I'm sorry."

He seems to understand as he doesn't push for me to digest any more.

"Go to sleep Chica. You must be tired. I'll stay here with you. It's almost seven, you can sleep."

He leans over and carefully kisses my cheek. "Goodnight. I love you."

He takes his phone from his back pocket and sets it on the table, then sits down in the chair.

Within minutes he is asleep, snoring softly as his chest rises and falls.

I however can't. I toss and turn painfully, trying to process everything. It's just too much.

I spend half the night turning, and turning again, trying to get comfortable, but I can't. I can't stop thinking.

And then something hits me.

I sit up too quickly and ignore the pain, and I dive for Espo's phone.

I dial Beckett's number and then realize it's three in the morning.

She picks up after one ring.

"Javi is everything okay? How's Samantha? How's Ryan? How's Nick?"

"Beckett, it's me."

"Samantha, what's wrong us everything okay? What's going in?"

"Beckett!" I yell to get her attention before she spirals out of control.

"I know who Anthony Richards is."