Connor

He continues on into the interrogation room, while I am left flabbergasted.

Oliver catches up to me just as I sink to the floor.

"What's wrong?"

"I know him."

Beckett kneels next to me.

"What do you mean you know him?"

"He was my dad's friend back home. They worked together. He was always over at my house. He would have dinner with us all the time. When he found out about the whole Tyson scandal he tried to convince my dad to stop working it. We all thought it worked. Why would he do this? I called him Uncle Connor. He was like family."

Beckett pushes the hair out of her face.

"We're going to make him confess. Let's go."

She pulls me off the floor and shoves me into the interrogation room.

"What the hell Beckett?" I hiss at her.

Her eyes flick to the chair, she's telling me to sit.

As I do, she does too.

"So Mr. Connor. Have you been informed of your rights."

"Yes, Samantha can I talk to you-"

"This said you were in the military. You were a sniper, and the best in your squad. Is that how you were able to get ahold of that gun?"

"Yes but I wasn't going to kill her!"

"But you threatened to. And you almost did, and an officer. Do you know how long you're going away for?"

"A long time I know. I just want to make something clear first. Samantha, I would never hurt you."

I look at him, and I can see the guilt in his eyes.

I shake my head slightly.

"Beckett can I have a minute alone with him?"

"Samantha he just tried to kill you."

"I know. Please? You can watch the whole time."

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yeah."

She takes my hand in hers before getting up and walking out.

I wait a few seconds until I know she's in the other room.

"Connor? Why would you do that to me?"

"I wouldn't have, I promise. He said he would kill you if I didn't. Everything I said to you was on his orders."

"Tyson's?"

"Yes! Look, I never meant for you to get hurt. You can't do this!"

He points to my wrist, and I quickly move my arm.

"That's not what your dad would have wanted, or your mom. They loved you."

"I thought you did too. Apparently I was wrong. That seems to happen to me a lot."

I start to leave.

"Samantha, Samantha please. I-"

"But you did hurt me. When you threatened them, you hurt me. They are my family now. They care about me. And I sure as hell won't let anything touch them."

"I know that. You told me to take you instead of them. I know how much they mean to you. That's why I did this, so you wouldn't be killed and neither would they."

He shifts in his chair.

"Do you remember a few years ago when both your parents had to work in the morning so I came over to take you to school?"

I wait for him to continue.

"Well, you were in sixth grade even though you were eight."
He chuckles a little.
"Anyways, I brought you a Pop-Tart. You had never had one before and when you ate it your eyes lit up and I could tell you loved it. And then Dom walked in and he was sad he didn't have one so you know what you did? You gave him the rest of yours. I knew you didn't give it a second thought. You gave up something you loved for someone you loved. I was always amazed by that moment. That girl, that's the one I still know and care about. And I do love you. God I miss your dad. And your mom and sisters and Dom. I missed you too. You could have lived with me. But you were put in foster care. I couldn't take you because I wasn't family and you were already in their system. Do you know how much I've regretted not taking you the second I heard about your dad? Every day I wonder what our lives would have been like if I did."

He cocks his head and lets out a sigh.

"I want you to do something for me. I don't know if I'll be out of jail anytime soon. Here."

He reaches into his breast pocket and pulls out a wad of cash.

He shoves it across the table haltingly.

"Take it. Buy yourself a Pop-Tart."

I gingerly reach for it.

"I know it doesn't make up for what I've done but I hope it helps with all the birthdays I've missed. May 29th. Every year, I think about you. Please, try and forgive me."

I nod.

"Can I have one last hug?"

I walk into his chest, and he attempts to wrap his arms around me despite the handcuffs.
"I missed this hug."

Did that really just come out my mouth?

"I did too."

I head towards the door and look back only for a second before closing it completely.

I sit heavily in Castle's chair and bury my face in my hands.