❄️ BLOOD AND LOVE | VICTORIA ❄️

Reviewed by: CroodsGirl

Book Title: Blood or Love

Author: Tuneofhisflute

Title: 5/5

​The title, Blood and Love,—while not entirely new—fits the story. You clearly state in your cover it's a vampire love story. That's easy to tell with a title such as Blood and Love. While it may not grab everyone's attention, it definitely grabbed mine, and I was eager to dive into it. I'm not somebody who judges a title very harshly, because it comes straight from the author's heart. If they feel like the title fits, that's their call, and we do not need to call them out for that. In the case of this review, though, the title works.

Cover: 5/5

​The cover for your book is wonderful. I think it's, so far, one of the best covers I've seen. The designer did a great job giving your story the mystery-vibe you wanted. It instantly draws me in. I love the inclusion of the red moon and castle in the background. I also think the two main characters are well-placed, as well as the text and your name. At this moment, I do not believe you need to change it.

Blurb: 5/10

​This is where things get a little edgy. The blurb does not tell us too much about the plot. It's a little short. Usually, blurbs range between 100 and 200 words. They introduce us to the main characters, the setting, and the conflict. All three of these pieces are missing from your blurb. Sure, you can argue that "What if a vampire falls in love?" is the conflict, but I believe you can expand on this. Tell us a little more about what happens with the vampire and give us a sense of how his/her world works. The quote you have in the beginning of the blurb is most likely the logline. However, that's all it is. A little more background information and a little more information about the characters will strengthen your blurb. You need to write more than just two sentences. Think deep about your story's plot and what you're trying to get across to your audience.

Plot: 7/10

​During our conversation, you were curious if there was enough of a mysterious vibe to your plot. Honestly, I did not feel much of this vibe, but then again, I was only able to read the first five chapters. I feel like the plot drags a bit and can be sped up. There is a lot of stalking in the first five chapters, with Sumedh following Mallika around. We do not get any background information on the world and how it works. World-building is very important. Don't forget that. I do not have a clear idea of the school these kids attend. Is it one for supernatural beings? If it is, I think it would be interesting to start there, rather than at Mallika and Monika's house. You could instantly introduce us to the beings' powers and how they run their classes. That will help add more of a mystery vibe to the narrative.

​Another thing you can try is something that you see a lot in mystery movies/books. Elaborate on the murders taking place. Give us different witnesses and allow them to share their part of the story. They have different takes, which leaves it difficult for the detective to understand the extent of the murder or disappearances.

​Finally, you can improve the mystery vibe with setting. Give us more information on where these characters live. Describe Monika and Mallika's home. Describe the school. Do both of them smell like blood? What do the locations look like? What do the characters hear, taste, and feel? Do they feel the bones cluttering under their boots as they walk through the "pit of shadows"? What I'm describing here, if it's not obvious, are the five senses: hear, taste, smell, touch, and feel. I have to say this a lot when I review peoples' books. The five senses are a great way to describe setting and draw your readers into your story. Never forget to paint a picture in your reader's head.