❄ DEATH, CRIME & A ZODIAC SIGN| CARMI ❄

Author: Flame_of_Frost

Book title: Death, Crime and a Zodiac Sign 

Reviewer: Read-aholic2006

(Keep in mind that this review is only based off of the only 8 chapters that were available.)

Cover: 6/10

I love that the zodiac signs—a key element in this story—are displayed on the cover. The dark colour scheme screams murder and suspense.

However, I suggest that the font is kept consistent. The words "Death" and "Crime" look disjointed from the rest of the title due to the sudden change in font. I also would include the comma after "Death" because although this is the book cover, grammar still counts. I do not yet know why there is a masquerade mask on the cover, but I believe the author will include such a detail later in her story.

Title: 10/10

The words death and crime in the book title would immediately make any crime fiction fanatic slap this book on their already-bloated TBR. So it's very intriguing and also unique. Plus, the title rhymes (and I'm a sucker for poetry).

Blurb: 10/10

The blurb starts off with a quote—and who doesn't love a good quote?—about life and death, which obviously links to the genre if not the story itself. The blurb is informative but doesn't give too much away. It's captivating and of just the right length.

Creativity/originality: 10/10

It's not easy to come up with a story that no one's ever heard of, especially with all the billions of crime novels out there. This story has your typical serial killer trope—so what makes it unique? The serial killer's M.O, of course. This particular serial killer murders according to his victims' zodiac signs. Personally, I've never heard of such a unique victim selection. The plot sounds very authentic and quickly diverts from your typical crime novel in which the serial killer only murders women who remind him of his ex-girlfriend.

Plot/Flow: 20/20

The plot already rolls into action at the end of the very first chapter. The chapters are also not too long or too short. I think the pacing is perfect as the author is equally focused on her descriptions and characterization and progressing the plot toward its awaited climax.

Characters: 10/10

First off, love the names—I mean, Fleur Laroque.

Jacqueline Kruger. Laurent Leclerc. Beautiful, really. The characterization is spotless. Since the main characters are all detectives-slash-agents-slash-cops, they all have a set of certain traits they share, such as being observant or clever.

Yet they're all so distinct. One can instantly tell that Jacqueline, our wonderful MC, is sharp-eyed and dignified.

I also love the subtle conflict between the agents of the Investigation Branch and the police officers in the State Police Department: . . . each faction regarding the other as either gun bearing brutes or nerds with glossy files. This delicious slice of prejudice adds a layer of flavour and excitement to the character's relationships with each other.

Writing style/grammar: 7/10

The very first sentence of this story had been beautifully written. Flawless, in fact. The diction, the figurative language, and the imagery all contributed to an amazing introduction and setting of the scene. Then the grammar.

Honestly, there's nothing more attractive about a writer than having good grammar. There were hardly any mistakes in the story. Only the accidental omission of a word, a typo, the separation of a dialogue paragraph although the character is still speaking, the occasional spelling error, or incorrect word usage. (The author used "equipped" several times although it did not suit the context. A quip is a short witty remark, not a mere response. Hence, "quipped" cannot be used as a synonym for "said".)

Genre relevance: 10/10

The main genre of this book is crime fiction and the author has clearly displayed its relevance in the story—along with murder, suspense and drama.

Reading enjoyment: 10/10

Crime fiction is one of my top favourite genres, so of course I enjoyed it. But that's not the only reason why this story was so captivating. The level of suspense keeps the reader wanting to know more; it makes them guess and create theories along with the detectives, trying to put whatever puzzle pieces they have into place. I already have quite a few questions drifting around in my head and I definitely want answers. I already know that two characters are hiding something from the police (not because I'm such an amazing detective but because the author pointed it out) and only have a vague idea of what the secret entails. I can't wait to uncover the whole truth...

Overall: 93/100

I know how difficult it is to write crime novels.

Writing in general eats away at an author's sleep, sanity and energy. But crime fiction goes the extra mile and you have to drag yourself along with it. It gets a little more technical and takes extensive research, especially if you're not actually a detective. As an author, you have to think; you have to be ten strides ahead of your readers and characters. You're the mastermind behind the plot and must ensure there are no plot holes in your story. That's why all I can do is wish the author good luck so she stays ahead of us all and really wows her readers with the climax and conclusion.