New Student

Jake is a new student at Perry and has almost every class with Devon

  It was Jake's first day at a completely new school. The building looked big and there was a lot more kids here than at his own school. And his anxiety sure isn't helping him, he could feel his whole body shake, he looked back down at his schedule. First class, homeroom, room 303. Okay.

  Luckily, the beginning of the halls have numbers, he sees 300-305, he knows it's down here. Jake finds the room, Mrs. Buckley, she was also his language arts teacher. That sounded like a nice name. He walks in.

Mrs. Buckley looks up from her papers,
"Oh! You must be Jake..? I'm Mrs. Buckley, your homeroom teacher, and I'm pretty sure your ELA teacher. Can I see your schedule?"

He doesn't say anything, all eyes are on him. He hands her the paper.
"Ok, so it looks like you have art first, that's just in the next hall."
She says.

"And your seat will be over there, next to Devon Evans. Devon raise your hand please so he knows where you are."
She added.

  A guys raised his hand, it's 7:30 in the morning and he seems like he drank five cups of coffee to be that awake. He smiled, which wasn't usual for the teens Jake knew. They were all mostly really bitchy and homophobic, he seemed nice though.

Jake walks across the room and sits in the empty seat behind him.

"So, you have art first?"
Devon asks.

The boy nods shyly.
"I do too, I can walk you there so you know your way around. Can I see your schedule?"
The other adds.

"Uh sure."
Jake mumbles.

"Oh wow, we have every class together but last period, you have Mrs. Curls, I heard she's really nice. I don't have her though."
Devon claims.

"Is that a bad thing?"
He asked.

"Having Mrs. Curls? I don't think so."

"No, about us having almost every class together."

"Oh. No, I like talking to the new kids so I'm kinda glad we got so many classes together, I don't really got many friends besides Lexy, Nadine, Oliver and Junior, and I don't got many classes with them." Devon explains.

"Yeah, I know Junior, he's my cousin."
Jake says.

Before they could continue their conversation, the bell rang to go to first period, Jake gets up and follows Devon out of the classroom, he just wants to blend in the crowd so nobody will notice him, the hallways are tiny for how many kids were flooding them.

Jake feels like he's going to lose Devon in the crowd, he attempts to grab onto his shoulder of something, just so he knows where to go.

"In art, you'll meet Nadine. People think she's all innocent because she's quiet and really nice to everyone but she steals things a lot, so, just keep track of all your stuff."
Devon explains, looking back at Jake, he just nods again. Damn, he's a loser.

"There's an extra seat at our table, I'm sure you'll be able to seat there."
He adds, walking into the classroom.

"Devon!"
A ginger yells, getting out of her seat and running over to them.

"Oh my god! Are you the new student? Everyone was talking about you yesterday! Anyways, I'm Nadine! What's your name?"
She greets.

"Jake."
He responds quietly.

"Jake, I assume. I'm Ms. Stawarski, you'll be seated at the table with Devon and Nadine, it has the purple basket on it."
The teacher says, she's wearing a brightly colored outfit, and she seems really fun to be around.

"Ok."
He replies, everyone heading to their seats since the bell rang again.

"See, I knew you'd be seated next to us!"
Devon said.

Jake didn't really do anything that class, the whole class was about finished with the project they started before he moved. So, he got to do a drawing challenge the teacher sets up for the students to get extra points. Nadine rants about everyone in their friend group.

Lexy was dating Junior, which he knew, and then they broke up and now Lexy is dating her and how basically tells him that their who friend group is gay. Including Devon, that was the best part about his day so far.

He hasn't even known Devon for an hour and he just wants to marry him already. Well, Lexy and Junior aren't fully gay. Lexy is pansexual and Junior is genderfluid and bisexual. He knew that too since he was the first person Junior came out too.

Jake tells Nadine how him and Junior are cousins, that's the reason why he moved here. His dad died and he had to move with his uncle.

Second period was boring, just going over the random speeches or whatever, Jake didn't pay attention. He hasn't seen Junior yet, or Lexy, or that Oliver kid that Junior has been talking to Jake about lately.

Third period Lexy was in there, she looked mean, especially because her mom was the mayor but she was nicer than he thought. It was in science with Ms. Fairchild, another ginger. They already knew each other since they met that one time when she was still dating Junior. It seems like she changed a lot since then.

  During fourth period, he sat behind his cousin, Junior, with a guy next to him. Devon sat next to him too, just like in any other class. He hoped that Devon wasn't getting annoyed with him. They didn't do much in social studies, just started a movie that was based off a book they finished.

  Finally, lunch. Jake followed Devon to his usual lunch table, going to their lockers beforehand. When they get to the table, everyone he's met today was already there. Lexy, Nadine, Oliver, and obviously his cousin. A lot more laughing and talking than in class and he's actually gotten to learn more about them. They eat pizza for lunch and Jake thought school food was supposed to be bad? He thought it was pretty good for it being school food.

  Now, sixth period, study hall. Most of the kids were in older grades than him besides him having all of his friend in there and they all sit in a little corner by the door, farthest away from the teacher's desk. So, they were able to get away with just about anything. The teacher didn't care about what they did anyway.

  The last period of the day was his only class without Devon. It's only been six hours and he can tell he's already in love with him. He's lost in his thoughts as the bell rings, everyone gets up and goes. Now he has hours at home to think about Devon. And, for his first day, he thought it was pretty fucking good.