Today is Better Than Yesterday.

I wrote this on the notes app on the bus this morning and I just finished it.

Lexy's Pov:

  I hate that saying 'today is better than yesterday' it's such bullshit. If it really were, everyone would be immortal. If it were true, there wouldn't be a need for justice for prejudice. If it were true, I'd actually be happy right now. Even though I just woke up, I can find a sense of going back to sleep, and praying for some reason, I won't wake up. I'm just so exhausted, Nadine isn't here to cheer me up like she always did. But at least I had my pills.

  God, I loved Nadine. She was so full of life, energetic and happy. Though, she was just a traumatized teenager, like all of us; she still kept her hopes high. I don't know why we can't, it's just not in our blood I suppose. I sit on my bed and look over to hers, where she used to sleep every night. I'll never see that sight again.

  I didn't even realize I've been balling my eyes out until I couldn't see because of the tears that filled my eyes. There was a knock on the door. I quickly wipe the sadness away and hide the bottle of pills I've been taking before I try to put some smile on my face as I get out of my messed up bed.

"Hey, are you ok since what happened?"
Devon asks.

"Yeah, I'm great."
I lie, I lie and lie again. Not letting a soul see deep inside of me, but my precious Nadine.

"You sure? It looks like you've been crying."
Jake claims, walking into the bedroom and sitting next to me on the bed.

"Yes! Fuck, I said I was fine, great actually. I don't need you guys to pity me because someone I cared about died!"
I yell, I don't know why I suddenly get so angry. Maybe I just want to be left alone.

"Lexy, we aren't trying to pity you! We care about you and actually worried! We know you aren't fine or great."
The curly haired male confronts.

"I just...don't want to talk right now! Everything is so hard and I feel like I'm just slowly drowning. And I can't fucking function without taking pills! There's just something wrong with me! And I just want to die. I want to go to sleep, and never wake up again.  I could've saved her! She wouldn't have died in the first place if it wasn't for me dragging her into this mess. I just hate myself and I wish I never existed!"
I spiel, not realizing what I  said until it was already out. They heard me, now they know about my addiction.

"Lexy..."
Devon starts, sitting next to me, on the opposite side of Jake.

"What pills?"
Jake asks, almost like he was demanding to know the answer.

"What? What are you talking about? I never said anything about pills."
I deny, attempting to gaslight the boy.

"Lexy, we aren't dumb. Where are they?"
Devon says.

"Ugh. Fine."
I whine, I know that they won't stop until I show them.

  I get off the bed and go to the drawer, just two steps away. I pull out multiple bottles of my mom's prescription pills and set them on top of the dresser. They stare, somewhat in shock and the other part in sadness and worry.

"How long have you been doing this?"
Jake asks.

"Since you guys went with your foster parents."
I mumble, covering my face because I suddenly want to cry more.

"Why? You could've talked to us."
Devon claims, getting up and hugging me.

"I know, everything has been so hard. I was so exhausted after Chucky, I didn't have the motivation to do anything. I figured you guys didn't want to talk to me and I had nobody who knew about Chucky and stuff. I didn't know how to deal."
I explain, I can't stop the tears from coming out when I feel Devon's arms around me.

Jake gets up too and hugs me. Eventually, we sit on the floor, in between the beds.
"Why didn't you think we'd want to talk to you?"
He asked.

"I don't know. Maybe because I was such a bitch to you last year and I just thought after this you wouldn't want anything to do with me."
I shrug, leaning into their touch.

"Lexy, you are one of my best friends now! Maybe you were...a bit mean but I already told you I forgive you! It's all in the past."
He says.

"I know but I still feel horrible. I made your life so much harder than what it already was for you."
I cry, wiping my tears.

"Lexy, it's all in the past. Don't feel sorry anymore, I'm not struggling as much anymore."
Jake claims, hugging me tighter.

It was silent for a few minutes before I just have to ruin it. I reach up and grab the pills.
"Maybe I should just take it all, be done with it before Chucky can."

"Lexy, no you shouldn't take them all. You're our best friend, we cannot lose you! We care about you and we want to help you!"
Devon says, snatching the bottle out of my hand.

"Don't use them."
I joke.

"Trust me, I don't plan on it."
He says.

"Good. I don't want you to be like me."
I say, again, wiping tears from my eyes.

"Get some rest, we'll check on you later."
Jake instructs, helping me up off the ground as Devon takes the rest of the pill bottles. 

"Yep, I'll try."
I respond, waving at them as they exit the room.