Chapter 8

Princess Amber

We were outside waiting for Desmond and his family, and I couldn't help but feel my heart beating rapidly.

I was nervous as crazy. 'I hope this dinner goes well.' I thought to myself as I saw Desmond's family carriage arrive.

I saw as the carriage stopped, and the door opened to reveal Queen Nadine of Mezbez, her son Prince Derek, and finally, his cousin Desmond, my betrothed.

I felt like I would faint; if it wasn't for Sofia, who took hold of my arm, I could have sworn I had forgotten how to breathe.

"Welcome to Enchancia, Queen Nadine, Prince Derek, and Desmond." Said Daddy as he bowed to them.

"Thank you for having us, King Roland." Said Queen Nadine as she curtseyed.

"It's our pleasure." Said Mom.

"I am so happy to be announcing our children's engagement." Said Queen Nadine as this made me frown.

"Come, let us go into the dining room." Said Daddy as we all walked to the dining room.

While we were walking, everyone was ahead except Desmond and me. He was very quiet, which was normal for Desmond, but I was not too fond of the silence at this moment.

I wanted to say something but opened my mouth, and nothing came out. Then we reached the dining hall.

"Welcome; please have a seat, your majesties." Said Baileywick as we nodded and took our seats.

"My, what wonderful decorations." Said Queen Nadine.

"That was all, Amber." Said Daddy, chuckling as I smiled at them.

"My Amber dear, you have great taste." Said Queen Nadine as I smiled at her.

"Thank you, Queen Nadine," I said as she smiled at me.

"Amber dear, we will be family now; you can call me Nadine or even Aunt Nadine." She said as I smiled at her.

"Okay, Aunt Nadine," I said as she smiled.

I looked over at Desmond, who was very quiet but was still smiling; we all ate our dinner and had interesting conversations.

Although the only one who rarely spoke was Desmond, he occasionally did when James or Sofia asked him a question.

"Amber, why don't you show Desmond around the castle?" Said Dad as I nodded.

"Of course, Father, follow me, Desmond," I said as he got up and followed.

"Did you enjoy your dinner?" I asked him as he nodded.

"Uh, of course." He said slightly as we arrived at a bench.

"Desmond, come, let's take a seat," I said as he followed me.

"Can I ask you something, Desmond?" I asked as he nodded.

"How do you feel about the betrothed?" I asked him as he shrugged.

"I.... I.... don't know, good, I think." He said as I felt a little sad. I think Desmond knew because he took hold of my hand.

"Are you not happy then?" I asked him as he shook his head.

"Amber, it's not; it's that we don't know each other that much." He said as I smiled.

"That's all? Des, You had me worried for a second." I said as he frowned.

"Des?" He asked as I realized what I had called him.

"Sorry, if it bothers you, I won't call you that," I said as he shook his head.

"It's fine, Amber; I was just surprised about it. No one has called me that in a while." He said as I nodded.