Chapter 35

Eight weeks later

King Roland

It had been a total of 11 weeks, and we had yet to find anything, not one sign or track of some kind.

I was beginning to lose faith in myself about finding Hugo alive because the total amount of the week only meant two things.

One, he was dead, and his body was decomposed or eaten by the wild animal life, or someone was hiding him.

It's been far too long since the search, and nothing has been found, but as I have told Garrick, I plan to keep my promise and resume the search.

Although, if I'm being honest, I don't know if this is doing any good to either Garrick or Sofia. With each day that passes by, I see the possibility of finding Hugo alive very slim.

But yet again, I've decided not to say anything and continue with the search even though. Eventually, I feel like I might have to talk with them about the possibility that Hugo is gone.

I know that is something that they don't want to hear, and I would never suggest it if it weren't possible.

But we have been at this for weeks and have found nothing, not even a trace of a clue of some kind.

I wouldn't say I liked seeing my daughter upset and even distraught, but I felt that this was a conversation that would eventually arise.

Even the people of Whelsire are beginning to question whether Prince Hugo is still alive.

The good news is that some of Whelsire's people have volunteered to find Prince Hugo; this has at least helped us find more of Garrick's men.

Suddenly, there was a knock at my door, and as I turned around to face the door, it was open.

"How are things going, Roley?" I asked Miranda as I sighed.

"If I'm being honest, it isn't looking too well, Miranda," I said as she looked at me, very sad.

"She won't like hearing this, Roley," she said as I nodded.

Just like Miranda, I knew that Sofia wouldn't like hearing this update, but she would have to find out sooner or later.

"How is she doing, by the way?" I asked Miranda as she took a deep breath before looking at me with a sad expression.

"She is doing her best, Roley, and I guess you can say it has really helped her a lot to have people support her." She said as I nodded.

"That is true," I said as she smiled at me.

"If it isn't me, it's Amber, her friends, and even your sister, Tilly, who help her out. So, in reality, she is never alone and stays busy." She said as I smiled.

"I'm glad we are helping her stay busy and distracting her from all of this," I said as she nodded.

"Roley, I don't know how to tell you this, but I have a concern I would like us to discuss," she said as I frowned.

"What is a Miranda, dear?" I asked as she took a deep breath and looked at me again.

"If, for some reason, we don't find Hugo, what is going to happen with Sofia? Betrothed wise, I mean," she said as my eyes widened. If I'm being honest, I haven't gotten that far into the scenario yet.

I don't know if it's because part of me still has hope or because part of me is just trying to avoid this scenario until it actually comes up.

'Either way, I have no idea,' I thought as I shrugged at Miranda.