Chapter 49

Princess Sofia

I couldn't believe it; my sister and brother were married, and now I was the last one waiting.

Unfortunately, I was again in the same position of not having a dance partner; I mean, sure, many offered me to dance, like my dad, James, father-in-law, Axel, Nicolas, and even Desmond.

However, it wasn't the same; they are my family, and I love them, but I wished it was Hugo whom I danced with.

'Oh Hugo, where are you, my darling? Please be alive,' I thought as I placed my ring close to my chest.

Soon enough, as faith would have it, Louis invited me to dance with him again. I was skeptical and wasn't initially sure since my father-in-law told me to stay away from him and his father.

Even though I could see in his eyes that Louis wasn't the same, besides, they were all here watching me, so I couldn't do anything except accept a dance, right?

Like always, I accepted and allowed Louis at least one dance, though from afar, I could see Amber looking at him surprised.

"Sofia, are you alright? You seemed to be a bit quiet today," he said as I smiled.

"Yes, sorry. It's just a lot has been going on...." I started, but he cut me off.

"I know; I heard you were named the new leader for the expedition to find Prince Hugo. How is that going?" He asked as I frowned.

"It's going well," I said, trying to keep it short since I didn't know if I could trust him with those secrets.

"Any good news?" He asked as I smiled.

"I don't want to give false hope to anyone," I said as he frowned and nodded.

"Understandable," he said as I nodded.

As soon as the dance was over, King Frederick walked over to us, and I feared this was nothing good.

"Princess Sofia, how are you?" He asked as I frowned at him.

If I'm being honest, I wanted to confront him at this very moment and demand him to tell me where Hugo was, but I knew this wasn't the way to go.

"I am doing well, King Frederick, and you?" I asked as he smiled, though I'm pretty sure he saw right through me.

"I'm doing well. Would you care to join me for a dance?" he said as I frowned.

"We'll.... I...." I started but was cut off by my father-in-law.

"I'm sorry, lad, but I'm afraid my daughter-in-law already promised me a dance," said Dad as I smiled at him.

"My, my, Garrick, how long has it been? 22, 23 years, yes?" He asked, sounding amused as my father-in-law frowned at him.

"I believe it has," said Dad, unimpressed, raising his eyebrow.

"How's your son, by the way? The disappeared one," he said, obviously sounding amused but trying to hide it.

"Not for long; we are doing everything we can to find him, and we will find him," I said as Frederick frowned.

"You heard my daughter-in-law? We will find him; now, if you'll excuse me, I have a dance," said Dad.

"It seems you might be getting a bit old, Garrick, but I'll remind you, Sofia isn't your daughter-in-law yet," he said as Dad turned around, upset.

"What did you say?" He asked, angry, and I got a bit worried; the last thing we needed was to have this turn into a fight.