Chapter 54

Wassalia Day

Princess Sofia

It was Wassalia Day, and I was walking back to the castle grounds; I had come outside to the stables to give Minimus his treats for Wassalia Day.

However, I was taking my time outside enjoying the view of the snow; it had been exactly two years since I last received a card from Hugo.

I missed him dearly every day, but today hit differently; if I had known this would have been my last card from Hugo, I wouldn't have let my friends leave him alone.

I think this was partly my fault. I should never have let him go; I should have urged him to stay.

'Maybe then we could celebrate this day together,' I thought as I kneeled in the snow.

I wore a beautiful long-sleeved white and sky-blue dress representing snow and winter colors.

I wore a silver blue tiara with my amulet and charm bracelet, and my hair was styled half up and down.

I looked at the card Hugo sent me two years ago and began reading it as tears formed in my eyes.

My dear, sweet Sofia,

I want to start by saying that you are very smart. I never would've guessed to ask the animals for help, but after reading your letter, I decided to go to them for help, especially when it involves sending you your letters.

I was very concerned when I read your letter about you not receiving a letter from me when I sent you a letter about a week ago.

I think someone or something might try to prevent us from communicating, and I want you to know that I will never allow that to happen.

That's why it's a good idea that from now on, I will send your letters to the animals since, as you said, they are your best friends. I am also glad you're doing well, and I miss you every day; I wish I were there with you to celebrate this day.

This could have been our first to Wassalia, but as you said, I am fighting for a better future for us.

That is why, even though I am disappointed that we couldn't spend today together, I know we will have the rest of our future to enjoy.

I love my little Wassalia present and hope this letter reaches you before or on Wassalia Day, as a present as It did for me.

Never forget that I love you and am counting the days until I can return to you. Happy Wassalia day, Sofia; I love you.

Love yours truly, Hugo.

"Oh, Hugo, if only what you said in the letter were true. If only you were here, we would enjoy this day together," I said as I hugged the card and let my tears fall.

"Sofia?" Said a familiar voice. I knew very well that it was my mother.

I didn't want to look up and have her see me like this; she bent down and hugged me as I embraced her hug.

"I'm so sorry, Sofia," said Mom as I nodded.

"I know, Mom," I said as she hugged me tighter.

Over the past month, my mom and I have gotten closer, and she knew what today meant for me; it was officially two years since Hugo's last card.

"I know it's time to let him rest, but I can't help but miss him," I said as she nodded.

"I understand, sweetie; I went through the same thing when your father died at sea, but don't worry, time will heal," she said as I nodded.