Chapter 78

Garrick

I was talking to my son and couldn't believe what I was hearing and watching. I was watching my son crumple right in front of my own eyes, and it caused me pain.

It seemed odd that he would have second thoughts about him and Sofia being together. If I'm being honest, I am starting to worry about why he thinks this way.

I saw and noticed they were distant and seemed to be spending time apart. At first, I thought their distance was because of the work he received as king.

Becoming king is a huge responsibility that takes time from one's life, and sometimes, it means making sacrifices.

However, I didn't think of it too much because I quickly saw that he, too, was including Sofia in the tasks.

But now I see it's much more than that; it might be someone's doing. I know some people don't want to see Hugo and Sofia together, but the question is, who?

Initially, I didn't want to blame anyone, but I remembered and saw how excited and happy my son was to be marrying her.

I also remember how they were in the beginning; there was love and never any doubt, and now there was doubt everywhere.

"I'm scared, Dad; if I lose her, it will kill me," he said as I smiled and hugged him.

"I know, son, I know," I said as I continued to hug him.

"What shall I do?" He asked me as I parted from the hug and sighed.

"Believe in your love, son, and don't let the distance come between you two," I said as he nodded.

"Alright, Dad," he said, smiling, as I smiled before giving him another hug.

"You'll be alright, son," I said as he nodded. It killed me to see him like this, but I couldn't do much.

I supported him with everything no matter what and encouraged him through the end with anything he needed.

But this was different. I felt like I couldn't help him much with this, making me feel like a failure.

These were the times I wished my dear Elizabeth was still here with us; she would know what to do and how to help our son.

As we took our seats, we began discussing the trade we would make with Axel.

"I think it looks perfect, Hugo," I said as I finished looking through the contract, as he nodded.

"Thanks, Dad; all I need is his signature," he said as I nodded.

"If you'd like, I can go and deliver it to him today and bring It back signed," I said as he shrugged.

"I don't know, Dad, it's getting late, and there's no rush for the moment," he said as I smiled.

"Don't worry about it, son. Besides, it gives me time to see my granddaughters and have dinner with them," I said as he shrugged.

'There's that slight of attitude we men from our family have,' I thought as I slightly chuckled.

"Alright, Dad, if that's what you want," he said as I nodded.

"Besides, you and Sofia need your moment alone to catch up," I said, smirking as he rolled my eyes.

Initially, I wouldn't leave my son alone at a time like this, but he and Sofia need some time together.

"Thanks, Dad," he said as I chuckled.

"Oh, I almost forgot!" He exclaimed as he opened his drawer and took out another other paper.

"Give him this paper as well; it lists the percentage of the harvest we will be receiving from you and the cotton we will need," he said as I nodded.