Chapter 34

Three weeks later

King Garrick

It had been three weeks, and still no sign of my son, and every day, I was growing desperate and worrying even more.

As Roland had directed, James led the investigation, but still, he found no trace of Hugo; it was as if the earth had swallowed him whole.

The only thing James could find was our men, and as the previous soldier said, most of them were dead.

At least 2/3 of them were dead, and this wasn't looking too good for Whelsire, but the good news was that most of the men from the enemy side were also dead.

We lost many men, but thanks to Freezenberg and Enchancia, we gained more men than we lost them and suddenly began to capture the enemy's men.

However, it was as if we were in the beginning since most of them didn't want to say a word, and those who were willing to speak knew nothing.

If it weren't for my future daughter-in-law, Sofia, I would have gone crazy. These last couple of weeks, she's been staying with me, and we have been helping each other out.

Even though she doesn't say it, I know this also hurts her; I still remember the day they told us they believed he was dead.

She was very distraught, just like I was; it was then her brother volunteered to help find my son. If I'm being honest, I, too, was surprised that James wanted to help find Hugo.

Ever since he and Sofia had been betrothed, James took it a little bit too harshly, which was a bit concerning and confusing.

Although he and Hugo didn't get along very well, they were still good friends; they were both in the flying derby team and ice hockey teams for a while.

But then again, I understand him. He's a very protective brother, and I know that if I were to have sisters or daughters, I would be very protective of them.

Still, I am glad he has decided to put his differences with Hugo aside to help Sofia.

The next day, after spending the night at my palace, he started the investigation immediately, and just as Roland had promised, he sent some soldiers the next day.

A few days later, my son Axel also sent some men for James's search, yet we still couldn't find anything.

Many people from our kingdom were worried about the young Prince Hugo's disappearance, while others declared him dead.

It made me very upset; how dare they declare my son dead before we have the chance to claim that ourselves?

Although I find it very unlikely for me to declare him dead, the only reason that would happen is if I find his dead body.

I was having a meeting today with James, Roland, and Axel about our next steps and what we were planning on doing.

Sometimes, Sofia and Miranda joined us in our meetings, but I preferred to avoid involving Sofia too much in these meetings.

The reason for this is that I know it still affects her, and it hurts her deeply to think that Hugo could be dead.

"How could we not find him yet? It's been three weeks!" Exclaimed Axel, frustrated.

"Three long weeks," I corrected, disappointed.

"I know this has been a lot, Axel, but you need to calm down," said Roland as I nodded.

"I agree, son, I am frustrated and disappointed, but we aren't going to resolve anything by getting upset," I said as Axel calmed down.

"He's right. Besides, we have learned some things," said James as I looked at him.