Chapter 36

One week later

King Axel

I couldn't believe it; it had been 12 weeks. 12 dam weeks and nothing!

Are we so blind and stupid that we can't see our own noses in front of us? Because that sure as hell is what it felt like; we've been at this for weeks, yet we found nothing.

Every day, I was getting increasingly desperate and angrier; how could we still not find my baby brother? I knew this was a bad idea from the beginning, yet I let him go; how could I do that?

I'm his big brother; I'm supposed to protect and guide him, yet I did nothing and let him walk into the mouth of the wolves.

'I feel like not only have I failed him, I feel like I have failed my mother.' I thought as I looked down and closed my eyes.

Flashback

"Mommy?" I asked as I walked in on her lying on the bed.

"Axel, my sweet Axel, come here," she said as she extended her arm.

"Are you sick?" I asked as she smiled at me.

"Yes, my darling, but I'm getting better," she said, smiling weakly as I frowned, confused.

"Promise?" I asked her as she nodded.

"Promise, come here, my darling," she said, extending her arm as I smiled at her and ran to the bed.

"Come here. I want to tell you something," she said, smiling as I frowned.

"What is it, Mommy?" I asked her as she smiled at me.

"I need you to promise me something," she said as I frowned for a moment.

'Why was mommy asking me this? I don't understand?' I thought as I nodded.

"Yes, Mommy, but... but why?" I asked her as she smiled.

"Just promise me you'll look after your brother Hugo, that you'll take care of him, help him, guide him, and protect him," she said as tears formed in her eyes.

"But mommy?" I started as she interrupted me.

"Just promise me, Axel, promise you'll do it," she said as I nodded.

"Yes, Mommy, I'll watch over Hugo, help, guide, and protect him," I said as she smiled.

"That's my Axel," she said as I frowned, confused.

"But why, Mommy? You will be there to protect him, too," I said as she nodded slightly and smiled.

"Yes, I will, but this is more of a different responsibility," she said as I looked at her confused.

"This is what it means to be an older brother. Only you can do this, my darling, but I will always be with you and Hugo- protecting, watching, and guiding, " she said as her tears began to fall.

"You're crying, mommy?" I asked as she smiled and shook her head.

"Tears of joy, my Axel," she said as she hugged me.

"Never forget that I love you with all my heart," she said as I hugged her.

"I love you too, Mommy," I said as I returned the hug.

End of flashback

'I miss you, Mother, if only you were here,' I thought as I opened my eyes and closed them again as I felt my grief return.