Chapter 28

Princess Amber

'Today was the day I was finally going to get some answers from Sofia,' I thought as I headed to Sofia's room.

She was acting very strange, yesterday she looked very upset and tried to hide it, like today at breakfast.

As I looked at her, she didn't look like she was in the mood to eat, as if her appetite was gone, but she tried to distract us by saying she was just tired from yesterday.

But ever since her chat with Axel and Garrick, she has been thinking a lot, and I'm wondering if it has something to do with Hugo.

As I stood outside her room, I knocked until I heard her voice telling me to enter. I walked in and saw she was nowhere in sight of her room.

"Sofia?" I asked, looking around her room.

"Over here, Amber, in the closet." She said as I headed towards the closet.

"What are you doing?" I asked as she smiled.

"I'm Cleaning out my closet. Since Wassalia Day is coming up, I wanted to surprise the orphanage kids with a few new dresses and shoes that don't fit me anymore, " she said as I smiled.

"Good idea," I said, smiling at her.

"Have you checked on the toys?" She asked me as I nodded.

"Yup, they're all set and ready to go," I said as she smiled.

Every year, for Wassalia Day, we surprise the orphanage and village with clothes and toys for the children whose families need extra help.

In reality, this was Sofia's idea; she got the idea after we spent one Wassalia day with a family who didn't have much during the holidays; it was when we thought Dad was lost.

"Sofia..." I started, but she cut me off.

"Can you help me with these, Amber? I am really behind schedule; there's still so much to do." She said as I frowned at her.

"Sofia, don't try to switch the topic on me. We have a few minutes to spare," I said as she sighed before taking my hand.

"Alright, Amber, only because I know you aren't going to shrug this off." She said, smiling as I grinned.

"Take a seat, Amber," she said as we sat on her bed.

"It all started two weeks ago, before Axel and Astrid's wedding. I've been worried because I haven't received news from Hugo," she said but suddenly stopped and sighed.

"Have Axel or Garrick heard anything from him?" I asked as she shook her head.

"No, neither Axel nor Dad know anything," she said as I nodded. Now I understand why she's been a bit upset.

"I'm sorry, Sofia," I said as I took hold of her hands; as she sighed and smiled slightly.

"As you know, Amber, I can talk to animals because of my amulet," She started as I nodded.

"They agreed to help me find out some information on Hugo. It took a while, but they finally did and informed me yesterday before the coronation," she said as my eyes widened.

"What did they say?" I asked her, surprised.

"They said he...He was injured but is still alive and doing well," She said as I smiled at her.

"That's good news, isn't it, Sofia?" I asked her, still holding her hand as she pulled me back to sit.

"Yes, but..." she started but stopped.