Chapter 9

King Roland

I can't believe someone would even try to threaten my daughter or, even worse, send her a threatening letter.

However, what really worried me was their knowing about her being betrothed; how did they find out about the betrothed?

As far as I know, neither Garrick nor I made that announcement with the children or anyone; at first, I thought it was a mistake, and they didn't know anything about the betrothed.

Yet, only a few people knew; perhaps someone saw them being close.

But as I was looking at the letter, the threat only made sense if they knew about the betrothed, which made me believe they must have known something about it.

"Roley, what are we going to do?" asked Miranda as I looked at her sad face. It killed me to see her upset.

"Don't worry, Miranda, we will have multiple guards on the lookout, and for a while, she won't leave without a personal guard," I said as she shrugged.

"She won't like it," She admitted as I nodded.

"I know, but her safety comes first; I sent a letter to Garrick telling him what had happened and asking for his help," I said as she smiled.

"Do you think he will be able to help us?" she asked as I shrugged my shoulders.

"I am not sure, but I do hope so," I said as she nodded before taking a deep breath and smiling at me lightly.

"Roley, I've been meaning to ask you something," She said as I looked at her confused.

"What did you mean by another one when Baileywick said a letter from Whelsire had arrived?" she asked as I remembered that I hadn't told her yet.

"Garrick sent me a letter telling me about the bandits and how they have disappeared, and we talked about it with the children, remember," I asked as she nodded.

"Well, I didn't say too much, but in that same letter, Garrick had told me that Hugo wasn't going to war anymore and that we should tell Sofia about the betrothed soon," I said as she nodded.

"I agree; the sooner, the better. But that was the only letter he sent you, correct?" she asked as I nodded.

"I thought you had gotten another letter from him," She asked as I shook my head.

"No, Miranda, and he also said he told his son about the betrothed," I said as she frowned.

"How did Hugo take it?" asked Miranda as I smiled.

"Garrick told me he took it well. It seems Hugo may have a crush on Sofia, and I think he will make her happy and protect her," I said as Miranda smiled.

"I'm glad, Roley, but now we must tell her," She said as I nodded.

"Better get going then," I said to her as we left the study room to go find Sofia.

We searched for her but couldn't find her, which made me slightly nervous since I told her not to leave the castle grounds.

"Baileywick, have you seen Sofia?" asked Miranda, smiling.

"She's in the library, your majesties," Said Baileywick as he smiled.

"Thank you, Baileywick," I said as he nodded, and we headed to the Library.

As soon as we entered the Library, we looked around and saw her sitting in one of the library chairs; we walked towards her as she looked up from her books to look at us.