Chapter 14

Prince Hugo

I couldn't believe what had just happened; someone tried to harm Sofia.

'Who would want to harm her, and most importantly, why?' I thought for a moment.

As I was making my way toward Dad's office, there was something that wouldn't leave my mind, what if the bandits had returned?

"Hey, Dad," I said as I saw him seal the envelope and stamp it with our seal.

"Hey champ, who's Sofia doing?" he asked as I sighed.

"I believe she's settling in well, if that's what you mean," Said Axel from the door as Dad chuckled.

"I'm glad; I just finished the letter for King Roland and am about to send it urgently," Said Dad as Axel and I nodded.

"Dad, I've been wondering, how sure were we about the bandits leaving?" I asked as he looked at Axel and then at me.

"Well, we weren't. Remember baby-bro, they left suddenly, and chaos stopped until..." said Axel but stopped.

"Until now," I added as they both looked surprised.

"Why would they hurt Sofia, though? Besides being the future queen of Whelsire, the attack seemed too personal," Said Axel as we all agreed.

"I agree with Axel, champ; this was too personal, almost as if..." he said but seemed to hesitate the last part.

"They were out to get by hurting Sofia," I said as Axel stood there in shock.

"That or me," Said Dad as Axel and I frowned.

"What do you mean, Dad?" I asked as Axel frowned.

"Hugo, you know that you and Axel are the most important thing in my life, and I would do anything to keep you guys safe and happy..." he started, but I cut him off.

"But now that we are to be married soon..." I said as I started to understand what Dad meant.

"The only way they can hurt me is by hurting your happiness," Said Dad as we both looked at Axel.

"That means they're back," Said Axel as we both nodded.

I know what that means; I looked over at Dad and then at Axel as their eyes seemed to widen in shock, almost as if they knew what I was thinking.

"No," said Dad, shaking his head.

"Dad, I have to," I said as they shook their head.

"No, no, no, Hugo! Why does it have to be you? You are the future of Whelsire. You are needed here." Exclaimed Axel, and I shook my head and looked down.

"Think of Sofia," Said Axel as I sighed.

"Precisely because I am thinking about her; I have to do this for her and the kingdom's future," I said as Axel shook his head disapprovingly.

"Sofia needs you, champ," Said Dad as he placed an arm on my shoulder.

"And I need her too, Dad, which is why I can't stand here and wait for them to do something to her; if they did, I would never forgive myself," I said as they both looked lost for words.

"Effective immediately, we will place guards inside and outside the castle, and if you leave, guards will follow you two," Said Dad as Axel and I nodded.

"Isaac, make sure this letter is sent to Enchancia immediately," Said Dad as he nodded.

"Of course, your majesty. I will send these letters immediately," He said as I frowned.