Chapter 47

King Axel

I couldn't believe what my father had just told me; this was what both Hugo and I wanted to know.

The story of how he met our mother, but never would I have imagined it ended up with him getting an enemy.

"That's why you told me to stay away from him, Dad," Sofia said as he nodded.

"Then that's it, that's the enemy that's trying to kill you," I said as Dad frowned.

"We can't be so sure, Axel," he said as I frowned at him.

"Based on what you told us, Dad, it can't be anyone else!" I exclaimed, surprised at what my father said.

Was he being serious right now? He just told us the story about what happened. Who else could be his enemy?

"What I mean to say, son, is that we need to have actual evidence we can use to lock Frederick up," he said as I nodded.

"We need to have proof of some kind that suggests he is involved in this," said Astrid.

"Dad, I know this might be hard to hear, but I believe that the General is behind all this," said Sofia as I nodded.

"I think so too, Dad; remember what we discovered before," I said as Sofia and Nicolas frowned.

"What do you mean?" Asked Nicolas as I sighed.

"A few weeks ago, I suggested the same idea, Sofia, because the General wasn't too fond of Hugo going with him to the battlefield," I said as Sofia's eyes widened.

"And you still let them go together?" She asked as Dad and I nodded.

"Sofia, he's been our General for years. Even before that, his own father was our General," said Dad as Sofia nodded.

"That doesn't make him innocent, Dad. Remember when we had that conversation at Enchancia," I said as he nodded, and Sofia frowned.

"What conversation? When was this?" Asked Sofia as I smiled nervously at her.

"It was when James was being put in charge of the investigation," I said as she nodded.

"Anyways, we did some investigation and found out that his dad died during a battle that my grandfather ordered," I said as Sofia gasped.

"What happened to his mother?" Asked Sofia as I sighed.

"She was one of the working maids here, and she too died of depression," I said as Astrid gasped.

"That poor woman couldn't handle the pain of losing her husband," said Astrid as we nodded.

"It was then that he started to train hard every day and was soon promoted to be our General of the whole Whelsire army," said Dad as Sofía nodded.

"It was then that both James and I agreed that he had the motive to want to betray us," I said as Sofia nodded.

"That would explain why he mysteriously disappeared," added Sofia as Dad nodded.

"As I said before, for the moment, everyone can be a suspect, even though it kills me to believe it, I do think..." started Dad.

"That the General could be behind this," said Sofia as he nodded.

"Remember, only two people had access to the weapons, Hugo and the General," said Nicolas as we all nodded.

"I'd say we start searching for evidence, starting with what happened on the battlefield; who knows, we might find something that could fault Frederick," said Sofia as I nodded.