Chapter 83

One month later

Queen Sofia

It has been one month since I've been out of the kingdom alone, as Hugo promised he did inform the castle staff about the situation.

Everyone knew I wasn't allowed to leave the palace unescorted, and they would not let me go even if I protested.

You could say I was not allowed to overthrow my husband's command to any of the guards.

Snow had hit Whelsire sooner than everyone expected; it was now early November, and the whole kingdom was covered in snow.

I won't lie; it looks beautiful; the kingdom covered in snow brings joy. Especially since the holidays were near, we had the Halloween party about two weeks ago.

Usually, kingdoms nationwide throw parties for friends and family.

However, we were divided and decided to spread the party along four kingdoms: Enchancia, Freezenberg, Whelsire, and Zumaria.

This time, it was our turn to host, and it was an interesting party.

We invited the villagers and many kingdoms, lords, and ladies; since it was a costume party, no one could tell who was and wasn't royalty.

We all had fun, but there was a lot of security at the entrance doors and around the ballroom.

Even Hugo wouldn't leave my side; a family member was always with me if he left.

Although it may have been his jealousy acting up as well, Louis and his family also arrived at the party.

If I say so myself, it was odd because I don't remember either of us sending them the invitation. It might have been Desmond because he was talking a lot with Louis.

Part of me was glad Hugo was with me because it seemed that Victoria wouldn't stop staring at my husband.

One could say that my jealousy was acting up, too, but it was more anger than jealousy.

Even after everything, I didn't want to believe Hugo would be interested in her.

However, it annoyed me that she kept bugging my husband when he clearly wasn't paying any attention to her.

I found it a bit funny that Hugo and I seemed to have some understanding without saying a word to each other.

When Victoria was near, I would grip Hugo's arm, pulling him closer to me. When some men were looking at me, he would pull my waist closer and possessively.

If I'm being honest, I liked that because most of those men who looked at me during the party terrified me, especially since I didn't know most of them.

As I said, the Halloween party included our friends but was also full of villagers and people we didn't know from our guests.

Something interesting also happened: Axel and Astrid have spent more time with us over the past few weeks.

I don't mind it, but I found it odd that they are suddenly always here with my nieces.

At first, it was a bit awkward because of my situation with Hugo, but eventually, we even started having conversations without arguing, at least with people around.

You could say the situation improved, but only when people were around, or one of us was sleeping.

Occasionally, when sleeping on my side, I would feel Hugo climb into bed. I wish I could say he stopped working out early in the morning, but he hasn't.

The proof was that I was still waking up alone most mornings, and I say most because that kind of changed, too.

Sometimes, he would stay in bed with me and cuddle; there have been times I wake up in his arms.