Ice

Skiá pov

We find out that the woman has something that make delivery dangerous for both mother and child. We also find out that the baby has only genetic markers of the surrogate and not the mother they thought it was going to be. Which means that the embryo didn't implant meaning that the baby belongs to the woman and we still don't know who the father is. 

We inform the mother to be. Addison promised the mother that she would be here to help her so I will probably be going back before her. Allison goes in to talk to her friend again and her friend reveals that she doesn't have the fertility required for it and there is nothing that can be done about it. Addison starts to pace back and forth in a panicked manner mumbling things. She sits down and talks about how she doesn't have any of the guys or the baby that she wants. The friend adds that there are other options and Addison just leaves.

I head down to the beach and sit so when the tides come they flow over my legs. It has been a hectic few months, so I needed to be somewhere where I feel completely safe and the beach is one of those places. I close my eyes and allow myself to slip into a meditative state for a while.

When I come out of my meditation and I see that it is night, so I head to the house. No one is home so I can't get in. I decide to just climb up a tree and go to sleep. I wake up when the sun comes up and head to the airport as my flight is in a few hours. 

I get on the plane and head back to my house. I have my test tomorrow for becoming a third-year resident. I do a little bit of studying before going to bed. I get up when the sun rises before getting ready and going to work. I went early so I can do the written part before work starts.

Apparently, Meredith's stepmother died which is rather unfortunate as she just lost her mother a few months ago. She was just starting to get close to that side of her family too. I don't have much time to give her my condolences before I am paged. 

Hikers that were missing have been found and are being transported to the hospital right now. We are all sent outside to wait for them and know that all of them are in bad condition. The first one comes in severely hypothermic with a low bp and tachycardia. He is taken in by one of the EMT's, Derek, Presten and the chief. I wait outside for the next one to make sure that someone is on them right away.

The next man has severe frostbite and several broken ribs. I help roll him in with Addison and check him over as we go. His broken ribs are obstructing his breathing but other than that he seems to be doing the best of all of them. I tell one of the others to get him to x-rays as I get pulled to the side by Addison. "I need you to look at a patent for me because I can't leave."

"Alright." The moment I agree she drags me into the room with a young woman and the two guys from the bar.

"Dr. Holtzman will be preforming your tests today. Don't worry he is one of the best in our hospital." I quirk my eyebrow at her and she simply pushes me closer before leaving.

I get the ultrasound machine and roll it into the room. "So how are you doing?"

"I'm huge and I have horrible heartburn."

"I can prescribe and anti-acid for that. Now I am going to take a look at the baby. This might be a little cold." I place the gel on her stomach and run the sensor over it. The picture and the heartbeat come up. "That is your baby's heartbeat."

"It is like I have a person inside of me."

I move the sensor and see another one. That explains why it felt off when she said baby. "Actually two, you're having twins." 

"Twins?!" One of the men say before passing out. I simply help him to the floor before getting back to what I was doing. I check everything over and the babies are doing well so I take some blood to run before heading back to check on the hikers. They are all being prepped for different surgeries so I go back to the woman. 

Her test results are back and they look really good so I let them leave and head to find something to do. I check on patents and do rounds. After a while I get news on the hikers and the three that made it here are still alive but stitched back together and missing a friend.