Water Dragon

Skià pov

I am up and eating while feeding Aelynn when the doorbell rings. My dad goes over and answers it. The girls pile into the house along with another girl that I have never seen before. She is clearly also a mermaid so that must be what this is about. "What do you need?"

"Last night during the full moon we were attacked by a monster."

"What kind and where?"

"I don't some kind of dragon but the kind that is sort of like a snake and it was made of water. It was not super close to the island but somewhere in the water."

"Okay. I will do some research and get back to you on what it is."

"Thank you."

"It is not a problem." I say before pulling out a book from the shadows. It is in traditional Chinese as I got it when I was living with fùmu. I open it up and look through it.

Finally I come across something that seems to match their description. A dragon made of water that breathe fire that feels cold. It has a painted picture of the creature so I show it to them. "Yes, that's it!" The girls announce.

"Well that is not good. Apparently they are cursed to have to kill all the merpeople they come across." I say as I read it.

"How do we stop it?"

"It says here that there is a bracelet that will defeat it. However it does not say where we can find it. However it does have a way to block it from coming into mer own areas."

"Really?!"

"Yes, we can protect mako Island but it cannot be used forever or it will drain the magic of the island."

"Okay, can you set up the protection? We will work of finding the bracelet." The new mermaid adds.

"I will get started on that now move along I have some things to do." I kick the out of the house before finishing breakfast and putting up the wards that are shown in the book to keep the dragon away.

I am sitting at home reading when I get a call from my uncles. "What is wrong?"

"We need you to go help some one in Portland. Apparently he is from a family of hunters and his aunt is dieing. His aunt knows our dad and she told him that the person you are supposed to help doesn't know about creatures at all. So you need to go teach him how to be a hunter before the creatures his family hunts goes after him. Apparently they hunt a specific type of creature so dad says that his aunt has a trailer full of information."

"Alright, it is not like I am doing much at the moment."

"Thank you." Sam says before hanging up. He then sends me an address for where the trailer is. I pack my things and travel to Portland. I bought a house online and get the keys in an older form. I spend my first day in Portland decorating my house and getting ready for some teaching.

The next day I get my stuff together and head around town. The man who I am supposed to teach is at the police station and his aunt is supposed to meet me at the edge of a forest to give me the keys to the trailer.

As I am walking to the forest I see some people's faces change. Strange, they must be the type of creature that this family hunts. One of them notices me notice and looks at me in horror. I wonder why.

When I get to the forest I meet up with a woman. She has a very dark mark of death so likely she will die sometime in the next twenty four hours. I give her the code word that my uncles gave and she breathes out a sigh of relief. "I was worried that none of you would make it in time."

"Well I am here and prepared to stay here until he gets hunting. However I may have to leave occasionally because I do have other things going on at the moment."

"I understand."

"So I am assuming that you hunt the creatures that disguise themselves as human? They are not very good at it though because I saw one of their true faces."

"What?"

"They must not have noticed that they changed it because they looked rather alarmed."

"Did anyone else notice?"

"Now that I think about it no." She has a grim expression on her face.

"I think you also may be our type of hunter." She says rather sadly. Why is that bad?

"And what does your type of hunter entail? Also I thought that it was genetic so would I have not noticed it before?"

"Usually it takes a few years for it to come into affect if the person is young. Also the person that has the skill before them in their family has to be dead or close to dead before they can unlock the powers."

"Hm. Alright. Do you have a list of family names that have had hunters of your type? Also specifically what powers and what creatures do you hunt?"

"The powers include being able to see the creatures and fight against them. I have books on it in my storage that you have a key to. I also have books relating to all your other questions. Now I probably better introduce you to my nephew before you have to train him." She says before showing me to her car.