Tainted Shadows

Skià pov

After it stops we finish setting up the lights. A few more fly out but it seems to have mostly settled down. The person who is related to the library seems to know who both the girl and CAL are but he won't tell us because we didn't sign his stupid document. I go into my head to think for a moment before it clicks. "That girl, she is CAL isn't she? You integrated a child's consciousness into the computer didn't you?" Accusation coming through in my voice.

"She was very sick and wanted to continue learning."

"But she is not even really the one learning, it is just an artificial recreation of her mind." He seems to feel a little guilty even though he didn't do it in the first place.

River shares another piece of information with us. A bit of data that was received right after the library closed. 4022 saved, no survivors. "How can they be saved if there are no survivors?" Donna asks.

"Perhaps in the same way CAL was saved, by having their conciseness saved to the computer." When they stop freaking out about the people they notice that one of their companions is missing from the room and a door is open. "Everyone stay here it is safer I will go and find her."

"And why should we listen to you? You're a child!" The man leading the group says. I look at River and she turns to him.

"If he says it is safer here for us I believe it, he doesn't lie about safety." She says defending me.

"Now this shouldn't take more than a few minutes." I say before turning to head out the door.

Before I can leave the doctor grabs my arm and whispers in my ear. "The things in the shadows are the Vashta Nerada, they eat flesh so be careful."

"Always." I pat his cheek and head out the door to find her. She screams so I run towards her fast being careful to avoid the tainted shadows. Sadly when I get to her I can feel that she is just seconds from death. I still have her sit after remove most of the foul shadows. She still shows as having two shadows though. Soon enough though she is reduced to bones. I can feel her soul leave and wait for her consciousness to leave her suit before returning back to the room.

When I get back to the room I shake my head at the doctor and he looks down at the shadows. He looks very sad. "Alright, if this is going to come after us anyway we better get a move on." The doctor says and we all head though the door. I make sure to keep the things in the shadows away from the people but it is quickly draining all the energy I have as this mortal shell is not made for this. If this goes on for much longer I am going to have to change into my oldest form to properly control the shadows.