Responsibilities

Skià pov

I had the doctor return me home in June as I was planning on having the doctor pick me up even before I had to help Ri because I was strictly working on my business as I got it up and running. He returned me in the morning right before work and so I have to quickly change my clothes and get to work. I get in and do my rounds with my interns and when I am about to go do my charting I get paged. I send half my interns to the Pit and the other half to the clinic before heading to the location of the page. 

I arrive at a room in the peds area where Bailey pulls me aside. "The peds surgeon had a heart attack so the chief has decided that until he can find someone else to fill the spot. Your Interns are going to be spread to the other residents until you have been replaced or they move on to their next year of residency in a month."

"Alright. So why am I here specifically?"

"This room has your very first patient. Here is his file."

I take it and look it over. "What about my other patients?"

"You should still be able to care for your current patents but after they are gone the number you will have in your other specialties will be lowered." 

"Alright." After that I finish looking over the file and head into the room to meet my new patient. He is a boy about my age and is sitting with is mother. "I am sorry about your doctor."

"It's not like you did anything to him."

"Fair enough. Well now I will be caring for you as I am the new pediatric surgeon."

"But you look about my age."

"That would be because I am about your age."

"Then how are you a doctor?"

"Lots of school all at once." 

"That sounds like it sucks."

"Well I am done with school now and I never even had to go to middle school."

"Lucky!"

"Perhaps." I say with a smile. 

We finish talking about his treatment right as I get a notification from my PDM I sigh. "I have to deal with this so I will see you later."

"Wait what is that for? I recognize the pagers and that is not one of them."

"I am also sick but not in the same way as you. This tells me when something is wrong."

"How are you sick?"

"My pancreas does not create insulin so I have to get artificial insulin put in my body by machines. This machine tells me if my blood sugar is too high or to low or if the machines that it is connected to needs to be replaced."

"So what is it saying now?"

"It is saying that it needs to be replaced because it is old."

"And you're going to replace it now?" I nod. " Can I watch you?" I know that a lot of children that need medical care are very curious about other peoples medical care so I agree.

"Alright but I need to go get my supplies, so I will be right back." I do as I promised and quickly return with enough supplies to replace it once. "Okay, if you want you can come closer." I say as I set everything out. He moves closer and I get started. I replace them and connect them a little slower than normal so he can see and when I am done he seems pretty happy. I finally wave goodbye for now and head off to my other patients.

When we finally get to his surgery we go in and see that he is a lot worse off then we expect. Thankfully with a bit of well placed healing magic and the scheduled surgery he should be okay until he gets the organ transplant he needs.

After a while he wakes up and we go over his need for a transplant with him before giving his mom the papers. Bailey goes with her to do that and I say with him. "Will you sign my wish paper?"

"Wish paper?" I ask.

"You know the paper that you give to the wish people and then you get to do something cool?"

"Let me see." He hands me a pamphlet and I look it over. I suppose I have heard of these types of programs before from working here but never really got to see what it is all about. It seems like something that he can look forward to amongst all the chaos that he is going through so I sign the paper and he has me look over all the ideas with him.

"Put x's next to the things that you think would be lame and stars next to things that are cool." Many of the options are traveling so I get to recommend him places that is have already been and tell him a little bit about them.

A few days later he gets his transplant and he comes out well. I am sure after this he will live his life the best he can. I am still stuck as the pediatric surgeon and the chief doesn't really seem to want to replace me but I made sure to tell him that after this month I am leaving. He tried to convince me to stay but I gave him the same answer that I gave the FBI, I will always be available for consultation and can show up to help in the blink of an eye. After a little bit he finally agreed but made me promise to look over the options for my current position with him.

I go through a few weeks and we finally figure out who will fill my spot. A young but promising surgeon who has been recommended by many other doctors. I have preformed many more surgeries and saved many more lives but I can't help but feel bored. Meredith and Derek are getting married soon and I promised to be there as well as promising to keep in contact with all of them. My last day is fast approaching and after that I can focus on some of my other endeavors.