Law

Skià pov

I celebrate both Christmas and Yule with my family as well as New Year's. Aelynn has her second birthday and I take my bar exam. I am now legally a lawyer so now I just have to find something to do with it.

I came across a newly opened small law firm in Hell's kitchen and asked to join. They told me that they are trying to help the people that really need help so they will not have any money to pay me but I told them not to worry as I have plenty of money without this job so they hired me as part of their team.

I am starting tomorrow so I was planning on just relaxing today but scorpion called with a case so I head to the garage.

When I arrive I only see Toby and a woman. "Where is everyone?"

"They have a case but I need your help."

"Alright." I say sitting down and tilting my head to the side. "What do you need?"

"Do you know how to make ID's?"

"Yes, why?"

"Her ex stole all of her money, things, and identification papers so she can't even fight against it."

"Alright, let me have all her information." I say as I pull out my laptop and log into the sheild database that has been fixed. I use the information given to me to pull up her profile. The picture and information match so I have Toby bring over the card maker that we use for cases and print her a new one.

After that we have to wait for it to dry before she can take it. Toby also makes some calls to see if he can track down her papers. He honestly seems uncomfortable with the woman but obviously seems to feel like he needs to help her so I stick around.

He decided to go ask a 'friend' so I take my leave as I am not needed yet. No one calls me for the rest of the day so I did get a break.

I arrive at work and sit in the corner. The receptionist and one of the lawyers here are talking about some pub crawl or something. We do not have a case right now so I am just reading. The last person shows up. They told me to call them by their first names when I got the job.

Something seems off about Matt though. Even though he is blind he seems to know where everything is. Also I notice that he smells like he is bleeding which is rather strange because it is strong so it must be a significant amount. So when he walks in out of curiosity I stop breathing and stop my heart beat. I sit perfectly still and he does not seem to notice me. Then I start them up again and he immediately looks at me for such a small moment that no one else notices.

I see. He seems to have some sort of enhanced hearing. I shift in my seat as the door is knocked on. Perhaps we will have a case.

A man walks in and he has the look of a lawyer as well. It turns out that he wants us to join the company he works for. "If I wanted to join a big company I would have." Is all I reply before leaving the room and return to my chair to read. I make sure I can hear the conversation still however because I do not trust the man, he seems suspicious.

He hands foggy what seems to be a check and by the way he behaves it must have been a lot. Then he gives us a job before leaving. Matt also goes outside probably to hear what they are talking about as the man got on the phone as he was leaving.

When Matt comes back inside he seems even more unsure. Perhaps he heard something that was slightly incriminating or something. Foggy makes us take the case however.

The man we were told to represent is way too calm and knows too many legal terms to not be guilty at this point but we have to take it because we already agreed. I stand in the corner and watch as he tries to come up with the best story. The longer I am with this man the more I just want to leave. It does not help that he was more or less threatening us the whole time to make sure that he goes free.