Chapter 13: Sparking Anger

Recognizing the familiar voice, Nan Yi whipped around.

Even in a different outfit and with just a partial profile in view, such a striking appearance was unforgettable. Just a single glance and most wouldn't forget, Nan Yi was no exception. It was unmistakable, even from the side.

Bai Shan Yao was glancing at his wristwatch.

He wasn't interested in the Omega before Zhang Rui. Any Omega willing to engage with someone like Zhang Rui always had ulterior motives, be it money, cars, or property.

It's all mutual exploitation. He detested such relationships and held no sympathy for the Omega before Zhang Rui.

As if clutching at straws, Nan Yi abruptly grasped the raised hand.

Bai Shan Yao looked distastefully at the slender wrist and withdrew his hand.

Nan Yi was momentarily stunned.

"Compose yourself," Bai Shan Yao said, looking directly into the eyes of the hand's owner.

Nan Yi caught a fleeting look of disdain in his eyes behind those glasses, feeling slightly embarrassed.

After all, he was just one of the many patients of Dr. Bai, who had no obligation to assist him.

Hastily, he raised his hand.

In sign language, he conveyed: "I apologize."

Bai Shan Yao hadn't expected the Omega pursued by Zhang Rui to be Nan Yi.

"Nan Yi! What are you doing here?" he exclaimed in surprise.

Zhang Rui inquired, "Shan Yao, you know him?"

Bai Shan Yao adjusted his glasses and responded with a composed nod.

Turning to Nan Yi, he softly asked, "Do you know them?"

Nan Yi shook his head in negation. As the man called Zhang Rui approached, he instinctively shifted closer to Bai Shan Yao.

Convinced that Nan Yi hadn't willingly associated with Zhang Rui, Bai Shan Yao naturally took the hand that Nan Yi had just placed on him.

"Old Zhang, Nan Yi is a friend of mine."

From their hands emanated the warmth distinctive of an Alpha. With wide eyes, Nan Yi focused intently on their intertwined fingers.

The smile on Zhang Rui's face froze for a second. Amicably, he said to Bai Shan Yao, "We were just having a bit of fun with your friend."

It was clear they weren't close acquaintances, but Bai Shan Yao had openly signaled to Zhang Rui to keep his distance from Nan Yi.

As the sole heir of the Bai family, Zhang Rui knew better than to cross him.

Bai Shan Yao glanced at the pallid-faced Nan Yi beside him, frowned, and said in a deep voice, "He doesn't appreciate jokes."

Zhang Rui's lips twitched, leaving him with no choice but to apologize humbly, "I'm sorry, Mr. Nan."

All the while, Nan Yi stood beside Bai Shan Yao, lost in thought.

Receiving no reply, Zhang Rui felt a hint of awkwardness. He went on, "I'll take my leave with Xiao Xia. They've invited us up for drinks."

Bai Shanyao nodded.

Once the two left, Bai Shanyao noticed Nan Yi was still staring at their intertwined hands, lost in thought. Feeling slightly embarrassed, he cleared his throat softly and let go.