Chapter 73: Yiyi is an Orphan

There's still plenty of time with He Yushen in the future; Nanyi could slowly broach this subject later.

The priority now was to check on Nanzhi's injuries.

Even though Nanzhi hadn't treated him well, he was still Nanyi's younger brother — the same one who used to chase after him daily, calling him 'big brother' and asking for candy.

Despite all the years that had passed, Nanyi had never wished ill upon Nanzhi due to any resentment.

He simply hoped that Nanzhi would lead a happy life, and that, subsequently, their paths wouldn't cross again.

When the two entered the room, Nanzhi was lying down, his left leg encased in plaster and elevated on the bed.

"Big brother? You both?"

Upon seeing Nanyi, Nanzhi appeared somewhat bewildered. His round almond eyes widened in disbelief.

"How come you two are together... and also..."

His gaze, which had settled on Nanyi's face, began to drift downward, his pale lips slightly parted.

His words trailed off midway.

Nanyi, focused on his brother's injured leg and pallid complexion, missed the entirety of what was said.

However, He Yushen, who caught every word, furrowed his brows.

"Your... how's your leg? Is someone taking care of you?"

Nanyi, standing beside He Yushen, took a subtle step forward.

"Big brother, I'm fine. It's been a long time."

A smile graced Nanzhi's face, genuine as if he were truly overjoyed to see a beloved sibling after a prolonged absence.

For a fleeting moment, Nanyi felt as if he'd been transported back to their childhood.

Yet, Nanyi was also aware that Nanzhi was a master of pretense, probably putting on an act for He Yushen's sake.

"Have you... had breakfast yet?"

"Not yet," Nanzhi replied with a wistful smile.

"There's breakfast near the hospital entrance; I'll go..."

"Stay put, I'll get it."

Nanyi's words were interrupted by the ever-silent He Yushen, who gently guided him to sit.

He Yushen affectionately ruffled Nanyi's hair, his steady tone tinged with warmth, "Just sit tight. I'll handle it."

The person in the bed observed the intimacy between the two.

Those endearing almond eyes betrayed a mix of complex emotions: resentment, malice, and a barely discernible hint of envy.

He Yushen gently closed the room's door behind him.

With the alpha gone, the seemingly innocent face on the bed darkened instantaneously.

Nan Zhi disdainfully looked at Nan Yi, who sat on the chair in front of the window, looking exactly like her.

With a sarcastic tone, she remarked, "It hasn't been long, yet you've become so cunning."

"A low-quality omega," she scoffed, "So quick to be accepted. Doesn't He Yu Shen despise you?"

Nan Yi wasn't surprised by Nan Zhi's change in demeanor. Over the years, he'd grown accustomed to her double-dealing nature.

Faced with Nan Zhi's mockery, he replied coldly, "I thought you had changed."