Chapter 54: The Very First Word Was His Name

Two days later, He Yushen genuinely accompanied Nan Yi for a hospital check-up.

As the stark, cold light illuminated Nan Yi's face, a wave of anxiety overtook him, his palms clenching tightly.

The examination process was agonizing, but as he looked towards the alpha standing outside the door, his tense body considerably relaxed.

Thankfully, he wasn't alone.

"How did it go?"

Inside the head doctor's office, the physician was closely examining the medical report.

"You're recovering well. You can start practicing using your voice again."

"Have you tried speaking yet?" asked the doctor.

Nan Yi shook his head.

"Try saying something now."

Nan Yi stared blankly at the doctor, frozen and silent for a moment.

"What's the matter? Can't you speak?" He Yu Shen stared intently at the dazed Nan Yi.

Again, Nan Yi shook his head.

The doctor glanced at him nonchalantly, "Don't be afraid. Take your time and try to make a sound."

After not speaking for over a decade, Nan Yi had almost forgotten how to talk. Cautiously and with hope, he tried to utter his first words.

"He... Yu... Shen."

His voice was raspy and slow, pausing five to six seconds between each word, taking nearly a minute to say the full name.

He Yu Shen kept his eyes fixed on Nan Yi's slightly reddened lips from the moment he began speaking.

His gaze deepened, and he held his breath, waiting.

The first thing the omega said was his own name. It was the most laborious and less harmonious time he'd ever heard his name uttered.

Yet, strangely enough, he felt an overwhelming sense of satisfaction and pride.

Nan Yi's eyes widened with excitement. He could speak.

He was no longer mute.

"That's good. Practice every day, and in time, you'll become fluent."

"It's okay if your voice sounds raspy. It's natural after not speaking for so long. It'll get better with time."

With tears threatening to spill, Nan Yi looked at the doctor, who had already moved on to the next patient's file, and managed, "Th... thank you."

On the way back to the mansion, Nan Yi kept trying to speak, unfazed if He Yu Shen would find it annoying. He seemed to forget there was another person in the car.

"Today... is foggy... cold."

"Kitten..."

"Nan... Yi."

"Nan... Yi."

He Yu Shen gazed intently at the curious omega leaning against the car window, his lips curving into a smile, he gently urged, "Call me again."

"He... Yu Shen."

Raspy, but just like the omega's pheromones, the voice carried a sweet undertone.

"Hmm, say it again."

"He... Yu Shen."

Overwhelmed with joy, the normally aloof Nan Yi instinctively collapsed into laughter, falling into He Yu Shen's embrace.